HybridZ

Holley Sniper EFI

John Scott

I've been a die hard carburetor guy but I think it's time to try something new. Seems this might be a popular system in the near future.
I just ordered Master Kit today, Part#: SNE-550-511K
Item: HOLLEY SNIPER EFI KIT. Long backorder wait 6+ weeks.

550-510K(583).jpg

Edited by John Scott

So far organizing and ordering miscellaneous fuel line adapters. 2 -8 AN for the pump in and outlets,  PN 26-180 -8, to attach to my rear lines. I'm leaving my Mallory 140 canister fuel filter in place as a pre pump filter, 40 micron.

I didn't like the looks of the included post pump/ pre efi unit filter. It reminds me of the old 1970s filters I used to pop on my Gremlin :blink:. Ordered a nice inline Holley Black billet, PN 162-550 with mounting brackets that is configured with Female 3/8” NPT inlet and outlet to go with my engine bay -8 line and fittings I'll harvest from my old regulator. Then out of the filter with a 3/8 NPT to 3/8 fuel barb, Edelbrock Amazon,  PN 8118. Return has a 3/8 to -6 AN 90 degree male hose end PN 750166ERL (included in master kit), which goes into another small adapter/expander -6 AN Female to -8 AN, PN AT9893068ERL, to -8 AN return line.

Minimal arranging of what is already in place. I need to figure out how to retain my AED wideband gauge. Two 02 sensors or can they be tied in somehow?

That's it, mostly researching Earls, Holley and Amazon for discounts. 

Edited by John Scott

I just replaced the high pressure rubber line with Carbon-Teflon core, stainless braided fuel line. The rubber lines don't seem to last long and I was getting a lot of fuel smell through the hose. The problem with the barbed connectors is they screw up the special coating on the inside of the lines and the hose ends then deteriorate and split at the fittings. The stainless line I bought wasn't bad price but the fitting prices are insane.

You can order line from Fraggola and they will custom make the line to length with the fittings attached which can be a lot cheaper.

Another thought on rubber line is that when the rubber degrades between the filter and the throttle body, the bits will end up in the fuel injectors.  

Which intake manifold are you running?

Edited by BJSZED

It would be nice to have custom ready to go braided stainless. My list is for instant gratification, but will upgrade lines for long term.
I have some braided, but not enough. I'm using the Victor Jr with phenolic 4 hole spacer.

Here's an image of the lines I'm working with, sort of. If I move the inlet line to the fire wall from the fender the existing braided might reach the EFI inlet. Kind of odd they put it in the back by the linkage.

Fuel pressure gauge? I heard right before the inlet.

The return is near the fender side so maybe that line will reach too. 

Another question popping up is my Mallory Unilite is easy to lock out the advance. MSD6AL. After it is running well, I'll probably try letting it control the timing. Best for my engine 18 initial, 38 total, in by 2500.

Seeing more posts around the internet of blow throughs, roots blowers, even E85, Nitrous. Seems very flexible for many applications. 

"order line from Fraggola"- do you have Link?

zzz-3.jpg

Edited by John Scott

That should work well with the Sniper. I thought you were putting it on the L6 ! The Sniper should have better Holley support. I would have tried it on my L6 but am probably only at 200 hp.

I set mine up with the rubber lines for quick setup as that's what came with my kit but stainless Teflon ( not rubber core ) is the way to go if you can. My lines started to split at the ends in just a couple months.  

Lot's of good info at http://www.chevelles.com/forums/89-efi/ on the Sniper as well as other efi. Happy reading!

Edited by BJSZED

Lots of available other brands, FI tech etc. Fast have poor reviews. Many tbi fi systems look similar. Everything I researched said Sniper is the best system of its kind. I appreciate the suggestion. I'll wait.

I cancelled the master kit. I have enough line, already getting a better filter and I'm not sure I like their pump choice. I re ordered just the basic kit which says will be available sooner. Finger's crossed.

Edited by John Scott

Found 17 in Stock Amazon. $999.95 Prime free shipping. Got the shiny.

Arriving Tuesday! Pump, filter, fittings all shipping as well.

Props to Summit for great customer service and no fuss cancellation.

Better go waste some gas to get tank down.

Edited by John Scott

I like shiny not to show, but I can clean up with Windex. :P

Took Z out today to burn up some gas (and rubber).I mention thus because most people hate their carburetors. Sniper has some big shoes to fill as my not off the shelf carb runs so well. Idle is a nice lope 1100RPM but can go as low as 750. The tip in from idle to cruise or power is seamless. Response tight, perfect. No hiccups, hesitations, burps, just the way you'd want. I can lug around in 4th in town 30 mph and nail it run to redline WOT no problem. I'm expecting all of this and more from the Sniper. All parts are here. Looking like all previous hard lines and braided stainless is going to fit.

Edited by John Scott

Hi John,

If it's not too much trouble, could you post a photo of the port vacuum hole in the throttle bore in relation to a closed throttle plate. I had a lot of trouble with that on my fitech and am curious if holley handled that better. I know on their carbs the position is perfect.

Here is a photo of the stock fitect port vacuum hole with a closed throttle plate.

post-50564-0-88444700-1495382035_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...