#1 Mayolives

Mayolives

HybridZ Supporter

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • LocationNorth Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

Posted 12 May 2017 - 04:46 PM

I'm having a real problem removing the strut, gland nut from my 73 240. I've tried a large wrench and a pipe wrench and have only managed to "chew up" the gland nut's flat surfaces and bend it. I suspect my only remedy now is to heat it with a torch but I'm concerned that I will destroy the "O" ring. It's been years since I've done this job and I can't remember exactly what the "O" ring looks like. My FSM doesn't describe the "O" ring or at least I can't find a description of it. Is it a common "O" ring that can be purchased or is it a real special type that is now, NLA? I sure would like some advice because I'm dead in the water until I can remove the nut.    

Driving Fast...........
What does it take to make a fast car go faster?
Anyone with a strong right foot can do it. Most likely, in the instant before the car crashes, it will be going quite fast. There is more to driving than FAST. Getting around a course QUICKLY requires talent. It means pushing a car to its very limit—and sometimes beyond —while avoiding the crash, the spin, the bobble that nixes the entire effort. This is ART.(unknown author )

#2 NewZed

NewZed

Clandestine Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5360 posts
  • LocationWashington County, Oregon

Posted 12 May 2017 - 04:52 PM

If you're replacing with aftermarket inserts like KYB or Tokico you don't need the o-ring.  The original factory design contains the oil in the strut tube but aftermarket is self-contained.

#3 Mayolives

Mayolives

HybridZ Supporter

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 13 May 2017 - 02:06 AM

I'm using KYB. I didn't know that oil wasn't required. So they are self cooled? I guess that solves my problem. Thanks!

Driving Fast...........
Anyone with a strong right foot can do it. Most likely, in the instant before the car crashes, it will be going quite fast. There is more to driving than FAST. Getting around a course QUICKLY requires talent. It means pushing a car to its very limit—and sometimes beyond —while avoiding the crash, the spin, the bobble that nixes the entire effort. This is ART.(unknown author )

#4 grannyknot

grannyknot

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • LocationOntario

Posted 13 May 2017 - 02:06 PM

Use lots of heat and penetrant and alternate between the two, it is sooo easy to f--k them up. This was using a pipe wrench and not enough patience

Attached File  DSCN0422.JPG   107.46KB   1 downloadsAttached File  DSCN0423.JPG   103.09KB   1 downloads

#5 Mayolives

Mayolives

HybridZ Supporter

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 22 May 2017 - 12:11 PM

They finally came loose!  Lots of heat, penetrating stuff and yanking did the track. Nearly tore the top of my work bench loose under my vice, but it will survive. Can't wait to tackle the rear ones. 

Driving Fast...........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users