HybridZ

ZTrix?

ihiryu

Solid products, solid communication and a solid reputation. I have dealt with John Washington on a few occasions and have been more than happy with the whole purchase experience. I am planning on ordering some rear YZ quarter panels soon which shows my faith in the products as a return customer.

Ditto what they said....two thumbs up for ZTrix (you may also find some internet info on "Reaction Research", which I believe is the name John Washington used to operate under.)

Personally, I think the YZ is one of the nicest looking body kits out there.  Good luck with it.

I keep looking at the YZ cars and they look amazing, but I can't explain this very well, but I feel like the YZ kit is too "American". Like it pulls away the streamline Japanese look to it.

I love the old school Japanese look with flares and fender mirrors, but I know the YZ would look terrible with fender mirrors.

I'm so torn! I don't knowbwhat to do!! HZers help me out!

I keep looking at the YZ cars and they look amazing, but I can't explain this very well, but I feel like the YZ kit is too "American". Like it pulls away the streamline Japanese look to it.

I love the old school Japanese look with flares and fender mirrors, but I know the YZ would look terrible with fender mirrors.

I'm so torn! I don't knowbwhat to do!! HZers help me out!

My take on your approach to going wide body here is, if you are after that "Japanese look" stick with ZG flares and add fender mirrors and maybe even a G nose to achieve that look. Since you are considering YZ flares which will accommodate up to 12" wide wheels, I will assume you are after max width tires to go with added power upgrades. In this case the BAMF ZG flare would be in order.

Now the YZ kit is a whole other beast that offers maximum width over stock with a consecutive visual flow from front to the widest points and back into the center much like an old glass coke bottle. The advantage, in my eyes, is the widest width on the YZ happens higher up in the flare more towards the belt line of the body, allowing max vertical and horizontal space for wide wheels to move in all planes/axis. I have seen some builds use zg flares and still have to compromise on stretching tires to fit. That could be from soooo many different scenarios though,(wheel width, camber, suspension, lowered,etc..).  All this and it looks aggressive but smooth at the same time. 

I like the ZG flares, but I am more set on the path less taken route of YZ flares mostly for it's visual flow, coke bottle outline, and I am trying to stuff the widest performance summer tires on 10" wide wheels for grip.

Ultimately it will be your decision with what works best for your needs, may it be strictly for looks, power requirements or both.

Either way you can't go wrong..... Happy flairing !! 

Edited by Nelsonian

Wow, that's a really informative post.

Well the goal is only 500 RWHP, but there is a budget as well.  The biggest reason why I wanted the YZ, is just as you stated, it's not as common.  

I do like the Subtle Z as well, but what's the max tire we could stuff under it?  And secondly, it looks super tame.  But I think it's a good compromise between it all.

Still sitting back and roasting on it though.  

Lol, "only" 500whp. You know that's a shitload of power, right?

The subtle Z kit adds 1" per side, and you can get some pretty big (275) tires under the stock fenders. If you put the effort in, you could probably get a 295 or 305 under the subtle Z fenders.

Since you like the classic Z look, I'd probably go with what Nelsonian said regarding ZG flares, G nose, etc. Marugen Shoukai sells two different rear ZG flares, one of which is wider. The wider of the two should accommodate anything you would want to put under it.

The option you haven't mentioned here is the IMSA kit. I'm not a huge fan, I think it messes with the proportions of the car, but it isn't common, and you won't be running out of space for tires.

Here's just a couple things that I've noticed about different flares on Zs:

1.ZGs are almost universally installed too low in the rear. That's where they line up best with the body lines, but unless you're running a 20" tall tire on a 13" rim like they did when those flares were originally produced, you're going to rub if you put them so that the top of the flare is close to the belt line of the car.
2. Subtle Z is big enough for 275/35/15 Hoosier tires which a lot of people use for autoxing. 
3. The 940 is in between the YZ and the subtle in width. I think it's pretty close to the ZGs in terms of rooms for tires.
4. The BAMF ZGs will fit around the same size tires as the YZ, but probably has the same issue with people putting them on too low (not positive about that). Is there a reliable source for these?
5. The IMSA flares were originally used with a 16 x 15 wheel in the back. I've got 15x14s on mine and they fit really nicely. In the front you'd need to size down to at least a 12" wide rim, might have to go 10s to clear when the wheels are turned. Probably depends on offset, etc too. The rear flares are friggin gigantic.

@rturbo 930... 500 is not that much.

500whp (meaning closer to 600 at the crank) in a car that weighs around 2500lbs is a lot of power (less than 5lbs per HP), and far more than most people need, or can handle. Yes, it is that much. Additionally, at that power level, you'll need to upgrade the driveline and reinforce the chassis.

• Like 1