HybridZ

upgrading to LS coils?

CGraves

I'm having trouble with my car misfiring really bad about about 2 hours of driving and pulling over for about 15 minutes always fixes the problem so I'm assuming it's the coilpacks can't handle the heat and they start to misfire.

The problem I'm having is I don't want to hang LS coils somewhere in the engine bay so I was going to modify them to be a coil on plug but my question is would that defeat the purpose of the LS coils since they are still in between the valve covers? Or do the heat sinks help them dissipate enough heat to where this isn't a problem?

Modern coilpacks (actually all engine bay components) are designed to handle very high engine bay temperatures for 100,000+ miles.  Seems unlikely that they would be overheating.  Might be in the same boat when you're done. 

Forgot to say that another reason for overheating might be bad ignition settings.  Too much "dwell".

Edited by NewZed

@NewZed

I'm not sure what dwell is or how I would even check that. I'm running a stock RB25 with stock ECU,turbo,boost everything. Timing was set before I left on my trip. If it was timing I don't see why it would happen after 2 hours then stop after it cools down.

Also RB25 coils are notorious for getting hot and the plastic will crack and they will spark off the valve covers.

• 4 weeks later...

Its definetley the coil packs. They stock Nissan coil packs fail after 20+years and short out to the engine block. You can usually see this by removing the coil cover and going for a good drive at night, pull over in a dark spot and you will see the coils arc. 

I personally went with splitfires as I found a set used for cheap. No more issues since. I also vented my coil cover.

I think LS coils would be fine heatwise or even brand new OEM nissan coils woudl last a while. I haven't researched the cheap yellow coilpacks on ebay.

Hanging the coils away from the engine is actually a good strategy. Wiyh any electronics device, the cooler thye run the better. Yes, thye probably will stand the heat located on the engine. But there is no doubt that thye will last longer running cooler.

Aurora Electronics  in Langley Canada  make custom spiral core wires in any configuration you want . Any plug ends and any coil ends. Lifetime warranty as well.

http://www.auroraelectronics.com/

I used Honda H series plug boots on my Audi 1.8T and they fit like a glove.  This was when I was experimenting with an LS-2 CNP system. That didn't pan out due to ECU compatability issues with my AEB ECU ( long story, but dwell not easily changed on AEB ECU . Later models are dead simple to change Dwell )  ) but the setup worked very well. Lots of guys using LS2 coils ( D514 and D585 ) on Big Turbo Audi/VW 1.8T engines. 

Here's a picture of what my setup looked like during the  test phase:

post-44147-0-14704100-1497467202_thumb.jpg

post-44147-0-17782900-1497467320_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chickenman