HybridZ

Stuck in reverse

Haehl

It's a stock drivetrain 71 240z. The last time I drove it the car kepting popping out of reverse but I got it out of the driveway by holding it into gear. Didn't have any other issues with 1st - 3rd on the test drive. It was missing so the next weekend I changed the plugs and when I went to back it out and now it is stuck in reverse. The shifter moves around but no rhyme/reason.

Unscrewed the center console to see if this was something with the shifter but couldn't get it out. After some research it seems there are some hoses towards the front on both sides that need disconnecting first. Hoping to get it out this weekend.

Was hoping someone here has had a similar problem so I know where to start.

Thanks

Might have sheared the roll pin that holds the shift fork on, so now the shaft moves but the shift fork is no longer attached to it. Some racers have had that problem so they double pin the forks.

Another problem I've seen a couple times is that the Nissan transmissions can get stuck in 2 gears at once. This locks the trans solid and the shifter won't move, so I don't think that's your problem. 

From the sound of it you're going to have to pull the tranny and open it up to figure it out.

Thanks, Jmortensen. I'm hoping to get the car up in the air and the tranny out this weekend. I've never done any transmission work so this should be interesting. Talked to a local z guru and he said Series 1 transmissions are notorious for shifter problems and that is why they changed the design on later models.