HybridZ

Oil Bypass Question

Kires

I'll be using the oil cooler assembly from an 83 turbo. It's being connected to a rebuilt engine that was based on a non-turbo block. Both the cooler hookup and the block have bypass valves. I see no reason for there to be two bypass valves and I'm worried that they'll just make it so that less oil gets cooled and filtered, so I'd like to block one of them off. My question is this. Can I simply pack JB Weld over the block's bypass valve, then sand it smooth once it cures? Or should I pull the valve out and use something like a smaller freeze plug or something? I'm assuming I don't want two bypass valves because in the turbo block, the bypass is filled and covered by a slug. I'm pretty sure covering it with jb weld would be fine, but I'd like to be a more than 'pretty sure' before I start doing permanent-type things to the lubrication system. Thanks!

post-51119-0-00661100-1495292922_thumb.jpg

I'll be using the oil cooler assembly from an 83 turbo. It's being connected to a rebuilt engine that was based on a non-turbo block. Both the cooler hookup and the block have bypass valves. I see no reason for there to be two bypass valves and I'm worried that they'll just make it so that less oil gets cooled and filtered, so I'd like to block one of them off. My question is this. Can I simply pack JB Weld over the block's bypass valve, then sand it smooth once it cures? Or should I pull the valve out and use something like a smaller freeze plug or something? I'm assuming I don't want two bypass valves because in the turbo block, the bypass is filled and covered by a slug. I'm pretty sure covering it with jb weld would be fine, but I'd like to be a more than 'pretty sure' before I start doing permanent-type things to the lubrication system. Thanks!

Use a core plug (aka freeze plug)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...