HybridZ

Another New Fuel Tank Option Wanted

Mayolives

I am in need of a new tank to replace my 240's, rusted beyond repair, fuel tank.  I was reading post's about new fuel tank options just a few days ago.  Someone posted the name of a company that offered a new tank that was reasonably priced that included an in tank pump and a return set-up, etc but I have been unable to find that post again.  I believe the company name was a first name than the word "tanks", like "johnstanks.com".  Can anyone point me in the right direction? 

• 2 weeks later...

This post is an update to my questions pertaining to gas tank options for my 73 240.  Hopefully this post will inspire others who are faced with gas tank problems.  After researching my options I discovered they were going to be time consuming and expensive.  I really didn't want to have a cell protruding into my rear deck area because one of my cars has this setup and filling the tank through an open deck lid is a pain in the ass and a spillage problem just waiting to happen.  The best retrofit was probably the early 2000, Camaro tank but that too involved fabrication.  So with the help of a cut-off blade, several types of wire wheels, wire brushes, a few different sized scrappers, and lots of elbow grease, my problem is solved.  I cut two rectangular holes in the top of the tank, one upper and one lower.  Both on the flat areas where I could stay away from the factory bends/creases on the tank.  The upper cut was about 5" X 8" and the lower one was about 5" by 10" .  Both allowed access with my cordless drill motor and hand wire brushes and flat scrappers.  I filled the tank with water before cutting to stay alive and left the tank dry out before I started the cleaning process.  This was a nasty, very dusty job that required breathing through a dust and particle mask.  Finally after about four hours of fun, I have the interior of the tank, though pitted. showing shinny metal work that is ready for welding the two pieces that were removed, back onto the top of the tank.  After which I will use the Por 15 Tank Sealing process to completed my work.  So for about $100, and not spending at least five times that for the other tank options, I have a tank that looks great and should last for a long time.  Long live the Z car, TB.        

I forgot to mention one important step that I did when I refinished my gas tank.  After I completed all my wire brushing work, I poured a gallon of Evapo-rust into the tank and left It cover all sides of the tank by moving it into several different positions.  I tried to cover all the areas for at least eight hours each in order for the Evapo-rust to do it's thing.  The inside of my tank is now, virtually rust free and really looks good!     

Edited by Mayolives

I forgot to mention one important step that I did when I refinished my gas tank.  After I completed all my wire brushing work, I poured a gallon of Evapo-rust into the tank and left It cover all sides of the tank by moving it into several different positions.  I tried to cover all the areas for at least eight hours each in order for the Evapo-rust to do it's thing.  The inside of my tank is now, virtually rust free and really looks good!     

A couple of suggestions since you have the tank apart right now anyway...

Leave a couple of access ports at the top so that you can service the internals if necessary - I did this:

IMAG0178

IMAG0163

The fuel lines to the tank are just soldered in - not hard to remove at this point and you can weld in a 3/8" or 1/2"  NPT union and then install larger internal pickup and return lines and AN fittings.

Seriously consider using the Holley hydramat pickup - it's a little pricey, but completely eliminates the need for a surge tank/swirl pot and also doubles as a pre-filter for the pump.  I'm currently using these on my car (3 in parallel across the width of the tank - I have a really big pump) and they are working great.

Edited by TimZ