HybridZ

Does 4speed tranny (F4W71B) has Gear Drive?

Hi,

I'm middle of 240SX F5W71C tranny conversion to 280Z.

This tranny's speedometer pinion is red(4.1 final gear ratio) which is wider diameter comparing with lower final gear ration from 280Z(Black one).

Photo 29 05 17, 7 40 06 PM

Photo 29 05 17, 7 47 55 PM

Therefore, just plugin 280Z speedo pinion won't touch gear drive.

I have 4 speed tranny from '75 280z. F4W71B.

When I check FSM, I cannot figure out whether it comes with white nylon cog gear drive or not.

Gear Drive

Does anyone know whether 4 speed tranny has it?

reference:
Edited by tamo3

There's a very small roll pin holding the shaft with the gear on it, in the aluminum housing.  You might be able to swap the shaft and gear in to the housing and get what you need.  Looks like the roll pin is in the same spot, would not be surprising if the shafts are the same design and will swap.  But the number of teeth is probably wrong (red versus black), so you might have to buy a later model gear and shaft with the correct number and swap it in to your 71B housing.

My 71C had the same size gear as my 71B's I think, but mine is a 1985 300ZX 71C.

Doesn't answer your question, I know.  But I do have an 83 5 speed that has the white drive gear.  

post-8864-0-17780500-1496264973_thumb.png

Thanks for your input.

I got my 71C tranny from 1990 240SX.

I just got home and remove Speedometer pinion to see inside of tranny of F4W71B. The Gear Drive on 4 speed tranny is actually drive shaft itself. It does not have separate nylon cog.

I need to look for it...

Finally read your reference and see that it talks about the pin and the sleeve.  

I checked my 1976 4 speed and it has a steel drive gear inside the transmission, not white nylon (plastic).

I should've get less than 3.9 final gear ration 71C in the first place....

http://czot.org/forum/showthread.php?1760-Speed-Pinion-Gear-and-Housing-Combinations-(-70-78-240-260-280Z)

The sleeve for the 20 tooth and higher pinion gear/cogs has an offset center to account for the larger pinion gear cog head. The cog head is larger to accommodate a higher number of teeth cut into the head to maintain the proper spacing to mesh with the transmission. Information on the two sleeves is as follows:

Sleeve Assembly (16 tooth-19 tooth)
PN 32707-78000 (no longer be available through Nissan)

Sleeve Assembly (20 tooth-23 tooth)
PN 32707-66300 (may no longer be available through Nissan)

I just got home and remove Speedometer pinion to see inside of tranny of F4W71B. The Gear Drive on 4 speed tranny is actually drive shaft itself. It does not have separate nylon cog.

I see.  You can see it in the drawings too.

One thing that people need to do sometimes is to grind a new notch in to the other side of the sleeve/housing if they want to use their 4 speed sleeve in the later transmissions.  Or you can get a 1980 ZX or later sleeve.  I think I see what you're trying to do now.  People have the same problem when they swap in a 1980 or later ZX transmission and try to use their 4 speed sleeve.

A new notch in the 4 speed sleeve, or a 1980+ ZX 71B sleeve should work.  Your 75 4 speed speedo sleeve is probably steel though, so a little hard to grind or file.  But people do get it done.

You can test it by installing the sleeve with the retaining notch on the wrong side.  The gears will probably catch then.

Edited by NewZed

• 2 weeks later...

Just rotate your  carrier  180 degrees in the hole and you will get gear mesh. Cut a flat with a  hacksaw or dremel there and lock it in place with the retainer.

Been in mine like that forever. There were two carriers, the only real difference is the offset is  opposite in each one. Rotating them makesup for that same thing.

In fact, that's  how I installed the 91 240SX Speed Sensor in the early five speed in my 260Z when I put in the electronic speedo.

It basically is universal new to old, old to new, just a 180 twist and a new lock tab location cut.

Did the same thing, just rotate, have one person hold it and rotate and you will see it touches and turns :)

then move the slit 180° to fix it in place (76 4 speed unit into 93 200SX KA18det 5 Speed box)

Edited by Villeman

Thanks for your input.

Yeah, I realized that after close look at the different speedo.

speedo pinion comp

Only 3.545 from '75 280z has opposite offset.

I will swap diff to 3.7, so, I can use blue cog speedo without rotating up side down.  :D