HybridZ

Rear valance Patch Panels

Namor

I'm wanting to find a source for patch panels of the exhaust cutout area on the rear valance.  I'll obviously be cutting and welding, so it doesn't have to be Datsun specific but ideally would be as similar as possible to the stock shape/size.  

The exhaust cutout area of his valance seems to go up a lot further than what is on my car now ('77 280z) is there a difference between early and late S30s that I never noticed?  Also, I want to be able to patch in a second cutout on the passenger side for dual exhaust so I'm really looking for a source for just the cutout area. 

This is the guy you want, Charlie Osborne at Zedd Findings, http://www.datsunzparts.com/products.html

He is the guy that actually makes the panels although many others buy from him and re sell

Tabco is the main supplier of patch panels (rockers, doglegs, lower quarters, etc.), and as far as I know (could be wrong), Charlie is not associated with Tabco. I believe he makes the floors though, and probably the rear panel too, I'm guessing, based on the metal used. Tabco panels have some kind of coating on them, and don't get surface rust.

The exhaust cutout area of his valance seems to go up a lot further than what is on my car now ('77 280z) is there a difference between early and late S30s that I never noticed?  Also, I want to be able to patch in a second cutout on the passenger side for dual exhaust so I'm really looking for a source for just the cutout area. 

Yes, the bumper support structure on the 280Z gets in the way of the exhaust cutout, so it is lower on the later cars. If you want just the cutout, I would suggest either making your own, or going to a fab shop. You aren't likely to find just that piece, but it should be a fairly simple one to make.