HybridZ

Power problem with turn signal lights

I have a 72 240z with a ford v8, the guy i got it from wired the brake lights to the turn signal and it works but the on/off of the signal is way too dim to notice is there a way to up the power or something? Im just looking for a quick fix so i can get it inspected then ill take it apart.

Thank you!

Welcome.

A bit more information is required:

• Is the wiring stock or after market?
  • What modifications have been made to the stock wiring?
  • Do you have the Factory Service Manual (FSM) for your 240Z?  You will need it.
  • Have you downloaded schematics for your car?
  • Have you searched HybridZ for posts related to turn signal problems?  There are many posts that include "how-to" videos.
  • Have you searched Google or YouTube?  There are many "how to repair turn signals" tutorials and videos for the 240Z.

Not even sure if I correctly understand the issue, but what exactly is too dim?  The turn signal indicator lights on your dash (i.e. inside the tach face), or the exterior turn signal lights on the front and rear of the car?

If it's the former, you could disassemble the tachometer and clean all electrical connections to ensure good voltage to the indicator lights; and clean out the interior (which often gets coated with dust and grit).

If it's the latter, you can do the same cleaning of electrical connections and lenses...often makes a big difference in the amount of light transmitted.  Finally, you can swap out the old incandescent bulbs for LED bulbs, which can make a huge difference in brightness.  LEDs in the turn signals will require an electronic, or solid-state, flasher unit, as the LED bulbs do not draw enough current to activate the old-style thermal flashers.

Hope this helps.

I cleaned all the connections i could find and looked at some schematics but something is drawing too much power in the circuit to the actual rear turn signal light. It is working but only has a very very dim light coming from the bulb. I dont know if there is a connection somewhere that is likely bad since its original wiring.

At least half the time, the issue is with the grounding.  45-year old grounds often do not work well.  IIRC, the ground for the rear lights is in a terrible spot under the rear hatch deck and above the tank.  Could easily be corroded and grounding poorly.  If you're checking it, you might decide that you want to move it to a different location altogether.

At the risk of asking a stupid question, have you cleaned the contacts within the bulb socket and/or replaced the bulb itself?  The rear lights are exposed to a bunch of moisture and crud, and the sockets can easily become corroded over time, but they are easily cleaned out with some fine-grit sandpaper.