HybridZ

MY 1973 240Z on Petrolicious/ VQ35DE Swap Progress

Hello all!

Although the car is going through some changes now, I never got to share the article of my Z on Petrolicious

I've posted some of the main photos, but you can read the full article here: 

https://petrolicious.com/articles/this-datsun-240z-has-been-tuned-with-tasteful-attitude

Enjoy! 

datsun240z-4-1440x960_zpstb3dojpu.jpg

datsun240z-3-2000x1333_zpsxprdqxjr.jpg

datsun240z-6-2000x1333_zps1ssneap0.jpg

datsun240z-8-2000x1333_zpsrfjzgwi4.jpg

datsun240z-17-2000x1333_zpss14ptb0j.jpg

datsun240z-14-2000x1333_zps5zbhpovx.jpg

Edited by SDgoods

Looks clean, and tasteful. I like that it isn't overdone with huge power numbers, and massive tires under ZG flares. Nothing against ZG flares, but it seems like everyone and their mother flares their Z these days (I blame Instagram), so it's nice to see relatively narrow wheels with tires that fit correctly and stock fenders.

I would think though that since he went to the trouble to tell us how tidy the engine bay is, that he would include more than only one teaser shot of it.

So, what changes are you making?

Looks clean, and tasteful. I like that it isn't overdone with huge power numbers, and massive tires under ZG flares. Nothing against ZG flares, but it seems like everyone and their mother flares their Z these days (I blame Instagram), so it's nice to see relatively narrow wheels with tires that fit correctly and stock fenders.

I would think though that since he went to the trouble to tell us how tidy the engine bay is, that he would include more than only one teaser shot of it.

So, what changes are you making?

Thanks for the kind words. I feel the same, I'm so

Sick of seeing wide flares and uselessly wide wheels for the sake of likes. I really want this car to look like the classic it is.

I think someone else mentioned the lack of engine photos despite his words, and I think he didn't have the correct lenses for a wide angle shot. He's a friend of mine and if I remember correctly something happened to his camera and he ended up needing to borrow a friends. Anyway, I was happy with most of thr pictures.

2 piston skirts failed and after messing with the L series

For 5 years, I'm a bit sick of it. She's getting a VQ35DE and 6 speed, some new center gauges, and eventually some 15's with some sticky 225/50/15 and LSD.

i loved this car when i first saw it on Petrolicious. i completely agree about the flares as well, i love seeing these Z's stock bodied, such good lines untouched and they remind me slightly of the narrow bodied air cooled porsches like 964's and such. I'm super stoked to see the VQ swap too, i was going that way with mine, you know that thing they say about great minds and what not eh lol

• Like 1

Very nice car. I saw the article some time ago. I also added a couple of the photos to my slideshow screen saver of S30's on my laptop.

I,  as you all have stated like flares but wouldn't cut up my car or a good 240 to add them. Maybe if the wheel wells were rotted I could do it. 

I'm still trying to make myself drill holes in my hatch for my spoiler.

I like the flares and and wide wheels but I also like the clean lines of the Z in stock or slightly modified form. 

Congratulations on the article. Very cool.

i loved this car when i first saw it on Petrolicious. i completely agree about the flares as well, i love seeing these Z's stock bodied, such good lines untouched and they remind me slightly of the narrow bodied air cooled porsches like 964's and such. I'm super stoked to see the VQ swap too, i was going that way with mine, you know that thing they say about great minds and what not eh lol

Agree on all counts! I'm really looking forward to this swap and all associated mods. Just got my speedhut center gauges mounted up as well. Did you get rid of your Z?

Very nice car. I saw the article some time ago. I also added a couple of the photos to my slideshow screen saver of S30's on my laptop.

I, as you all have stated like flares but wouldn't cut up my car or a good 240 to add them. Maybe if the wheel wells were rotted I could do it.

I'm still trying to make myself drill holes in my hatch for my spoiler.

I like the flares and and wide wheels but I also like the clean lines of the Z in stock or slightly modified form.

Congratulations on the article. Very cool.

Thanks! Good to know the photos are getting around. I had hacked up my first 240z for flares and didn't hesitate at all, but with this nice stock body and all the "cool kids" doing flares and wide wheels, the classic looks are that much cooler to me. And it's just such a beautiful car!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! Good to know the photos are getting around. I had hacked up my first 240z for flares and didn't hesitate at all, but with this nice stock body and all the "cool kids" doing flares and wide wheels, the classic looks are that much cooler to me. And it's just such a beautiful car!

You're welcome. I love them all but I really like blue Z's. Yeah, I love the classic, slightly modified look. Nice lines of the body showing. To me all the S30's seem more individual than the newer cars being modded. They all seem the same. 

My car is pretty nice but I plan on it being sweet by the time I'm done. I've got a lot of goodies on the way for it and I'll be posting them on my thread for the car.

Take care!

• 2 months later...

Some updated photos of the build in the recent months.

As known, the CD008 transmission is enormous and has by far been the biggest hassle of this project. I ended up removing most of the stock trans mount reinforcement to be able to fit it.

we got the transmission mounted and are starting to build the custom cross member. Enjoy! 

Installed some SpeedHut gauges to properly monitor the VQ:

IMG_5312.JPG

IMG_5313.JPG

IMG_5360.JPG

Engine is out, time for a spray down! 

IMG_5418.JPG

IMG_5419.JPG

Test fitting the VQ

IMG_5513.JPG

IMG_5526.JPG

IMG_5560.JPG

Tight fit! Need to cut more

IMG_5563.JPG

IMG_5564.JPG

IMG_5570.JPG

IMG_5578.JPG

IMG_5579.JPG

Cleared the notched and powerdercoated subframe

IMG_5581.JPG

IMG_5586.JPG

IMG_5590.JPG

Midship FR! 

IMG_5614.JPG

I decided against using the old rubber engine and trans mounts, so I picked up these high quality Z1 Motorsports billet/poly engine and trans mounts

IMG_5678.JPG

IMG_5679.JPG

IMG_5682.JPG

Transmission mounted

IMG_5685.JPG

IMG_5686.JPG

IMG_5697.JPG

Love the new shifter position, it sits farther back but it actually closer to the steering wheel

IMG_5753.JPG

That's all for now until we make some progress on the new subframe/motormounts

Edited by SDgoods