HybridZ

Engine Paint Colors

Mayolives

After owning and playing with many Z cars since the early eighty's, I never thought that I would be the one who would ask for input pertaining to engine color choices.  But here goes.  I'm in a rut and have been pondering over this for at least the past week.  As my years passed, I've painted a number of engines, and have stuck with Datsun blue or matched the exterior color of the body that was to receive the engine.   My new engine build is about ready for paint and installation into my silver, (#901) 73, 240.  The car is very nice and straight with new brakes, bushings, struts, bearings, lowered, wheels, tires, all new interior and lots of goodies for the race shop built motor.  Somehow, the Datsun blue color just isn't speaking to me and matching the silver body color would have virtually no contrast to the Aluminum engine parts.  I have thought about painting it black, but I'm not convinced.   And I say, "Who better to ask, other than my Z car "peps", when asking for aesthetic advice?  This Z car won't be a grocery-getter nor a race car.  But it should be a respectable, Japanese hot rod.  Any input, any advice that will help me past my color choice dilemma, would be a "god send" and will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance for your respected thoughts and opinions.                       

I like the gunmetal gray idea and believe it will provide good contrast to the rest of the engine color and bling.  Problem is........I can't fine anyone who offers this color.  I've checked with about all the big name engine paint people and have come up empty. Any ideas?

I really like the Datsun blue/turquoise color. I like everyone's idea of the gunmetal color too. I really like that color a lot. I also really like the way red looks with silver. look at some old Mopar photo's of silver cars with red block and red interior. It really looks sweet. And the contrast is nice.

Just my idea. Hope it helps. Good luck in your search!

I know what you mean. I like the gunmetal gray idea but I've known people to paint them white to make leaks easier to spot and I've always played with the idea of gold so I can tell people "She's got a heart of gold." I've seen metallic blue engines that really pop as well. Black is just...'eh'...

Mine is bright green like the car. I'd rather it be original color. The gold sounds pretty cool. It would be a nice warm contrast against the cool silver color. Yes, metallic blue would look good too. Blues are one of my favorite colors for most cars and blocks.

Yeah the black would be too dark. And white would look like hell after a while, lol. At least it seems it would.

Silver is a non-color, and the original Datsun blue/green being darker is almost a negative color.

Some of the prettiest engines I've seen on this forum are lipstick red accented with the natural aluminum color on the raised letters and ribs on the valve cover.

• 5 months later...