HybridZ

Texans, help me out.

///matt

I've searched thoroughly, both here and various google, and I can't a clear answer to my question:

I don't live in Texas yet, but plan to soon.

What's up with motor swaps in TX? I've got a 72 240 that I want to swap to something other than the L24/28 frankenstein it's got. I see that motor swaps are "legal" in TX, but that they still have to pass "emission inspection" during annuals. I'll be outside the 17 counties that sniff-test.

What do I need to do? Is it even a concern? Does my swap have to have all the smog equipment that the CAR originally had, or that the donor MOTOR is expected to have?

Help me out, since I'll be real upset if I spend a bunch of money on a swap, get to TX, and can't register the Z.

Thanks!

All that is currently required for registration is the safety inspection and even that will be getting phased out next year.

I've got straight through setup on my Z and a cat delete + cutout on my STi. Ive never had any issues getting them inspected.

Z will eventually be getting an L28ET with a cutout shooting through the fender. I doubt I'll have issues even with that.

I live in Bell county, and we don't have emissions, and don't even care about swaps.  So long as the car passes visual, and meets sound, then it's good.  They do drive the cars fro the brake tests, but that's about it.

Where you moving to specifically?

My car is a 78, so it originally came equipped with cats. 

I've had a couple inspections where they have said, "you know technically you are supposed to have catalytic converters" but that was about it. Only a visual inspection, definitely no emission testing. 

For a 72 you are definitely free and clear. All they do is make sure the lights, horn, turn signals, parking brake, and brakes work. 

<< texan, all you need currently is a saftey test and that's it! And most of the "shops" will be so happy looking at your old car that they skip some of those test.... Every time I've taken my ls1 240z, they are all smiles and just ask a shit ton of questions. I've deleted everything EGR and have no cats, nor do I catch oil from the valve covers and not a peep. 

I used to live in Dallas, and the only inspection techs I had trouble with were the less experienced ones who crapped themselves when the picture that popped up on their monitor didn't match what was in the engine bay.   I finally just printed out a copy of the "25 years and older" rule and kept it in the glovebox. 

As a side note, the DMV workers in Atlanta make the ones in Dallas look like rocket scientists.  They could not for the life of them figure out how to register a 42 year old car.  They tried to value my $3,000 car at $15,000, then sent me home with the wrong set of license plates.   Bah!  Endless idiocy.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...