#1 rickyellow zee

rickyellow zee

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Locationtoronto

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:59 AM

So I have a 78 280z with an L28ET swap. The motor/distributor are from an 83 Zx turbo and the current ECU/harness is from an 81 280Zx  turbo. I would like to try an ECU from an 83 so it matches the motor/dizzy. The current CAS is in the dizzy on my car and the injectors use the dropping resistors that came stock from 78. The 81 ECU requires the external dropping resistors and the 83 ECU I want to use does not require them. I believe the resistors are located inside the 83 ECU. What is needed to make the 83 computer work on my setup? Is there something I need to do to the resistor wiring? Thanks. Hope I was clear.

Rick

#2 Chickenman

Chickenman

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:40 PM

Delete post

Edited by Chickenman, 19 June 2017 - 02:04 PM.

#3 cgsheen

cgsheen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 03 July 2017 - 12:56 PM

Well, you probably know by now my suggestion:  Don't waste any more time or money on the stock ECCS...

Having said that:  you can plug an '83 ECU in to test and it'll work.  If you're going to run it long-term, remove the dropping resistors and jumper them out.  They're arranged 4 resistors in one pack, 2 in the other.  Each pack has a +12V "in" wire and then "outs" to the injectors.  All the injectors are powered from the same source - all that matters is that you get all the 6 "out to injector" wires tied back to the voltage source wire(s).

Whatever problem you're having, is likely NOT the ECU.  It's likely wiring/connectors/harness/someonescrewedwiththeafmwhentheyshouldn'thave/and etc...  There is also no "advantage" to using an '82-'83 ECU on that engine that would justify the change - or cost.  Put your time and money into a new harness and a better engine management system - at very least a new harness (with a better engine management system).  That L28ET deserves it...

Edited by cgsheen, 03 July 2017 - 01:03 PM.

1974 "Early" 260Z: '83 L28ET - F31 ECU MAF Coil TPS - T04E - FMIC - 400cc Injectors - MTX-L wideband - NIStune enabled! - '83 5 speed - coilovers - Big Brakes up front - Sakura Garage, Tempe, AZ

#4 softopz

softopz

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts
  • LocationOntario Canada

Posted 04 July 2017 - 07:43 PM

Exactly what cgsheen said don't waste your time on old eccs system its ancient efi and very porblamatic. Throw it on eBay and take that money My advice is to go with Ms2 if your a on a budget even ms1 will give you room to grow your setup with tunability. Or anything for that matter over stock is better. Sds haltech ecumasters just to name a few
Official AMP EFI megasquirt retailer.ms3 pro lifetime warranty!
Plug and Play Megasquirt 1/2/3 harness pre configured ms systems.
http://forums.hybrid...ss-sensors-etc/

#5 rickyellow zee

rickyellow zee

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Locationtoronto

Posted 05 July 2017 - 12:36 PM

I will go MS2. **** this ECCS bullshit. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users