HybridZ

Is this site dead?

madkaw

I'm pretty new to the Datsun world. I joined a few years back. Posted a little then, not so much now. I read new topics or post just about every day with my morning coffee. I don't have FB, never liked it. My local Z group uses FB instead of forums and i miss out on alot...

Once i learned how to use google to search the forums, I was able to find just about anything i needed. I think there are a lot of users like me who aren't doing anything new or creative as to feel the need to post a new topic.

I love this forum and would hate to see it go dead. This topic is motivating me to donate, haha.

Haha I'm pretty sure it's alive lol ...I have received over 25 PMs in the past month that my donation has expired ...or is that because it is dying ? Idk better donate I guess...

Edited by Rob L

Okay- I'm a dumb ass. I had the setting to just content I participated in under new content . Must have done that by accident because I didn't even know I could . So I was living in my own little Hybridz world

I'm here just about every other day. What the heck do you guys look at on Facebook? To me it's scary stuff out there.

So many options on Facebook I don't even know where to begin? Is it better than the forums?

• 2 weeks later...

Nope. I rarely post much anymore, in fact this is the first one in years. Been a member for years (2001). Still have my Z, but It is in stasis currently due to me being unable to work so it just sits in the garage waiting for the day I'm able to bring it back to life. But it least it has a nice big garage to sit in. Engine is still good, I start it every week or so, but everything else need overhauled. I think I have put 50 miles on it in the last 10 years, maybe 100. It's sad, but it will be reborn again and stronger than ever.

I haven't seen much traffic about wheel fitmemt in a while. Perhaps the tuner/low rider crowd has moved on to somewhere else. We are starting to get some faster S30 owners again. Looks like the V8 S30 FB page has slowed down a little too. Maybe this stuff goes in cycles. Rebekah hasn't update her FB page in months, but then again she is 23 now and has a job...she went and grew up on me.

Rebekah hasn't update her FB page in months, but then again she is 23 now and has a job...she went and grew up on me.

I'm a couple years older, and I've noticed the same. A lot less FB activity among my age group. I have a browser add on that allows me to filter FB, otherwise I would have quit it ages ago. It's unusable without it.

I agree with Keith, most forums I've been apart of over the years involving cars and motorcycles go in cycles. It seems to coincide with holidays, tax returns and summer break. Forums seem to be busy in the fall and early spring with people having more time in the garage because of weather (warmer but still rainy/windy and overcast), a little extra cash from being couped up inside and the rush to play for summer. I know locally from about mid June thru October is weekend car club events and vacation time so people are out and about instead of in the garage. Then around Thanksgiving/Christmas they are all working on projects in the garage due to gifts and trying to avoid social events and cabin fever.

It'll pick up again, it always does.

I'm here:)

HybridZ has always frowned on asking before searching. That is a double edged sword though since it can have a tendency stifle new discussions or approaches. Plus it drives new people away.  I see stuff on reddit that can easily be answered by a quick search here. And the answers that are thrown around are sooooo wrong half the time. But if you use the correct reddit speak your totally incorrect answer gets voted to the top and my completely boring but correct answer gets voted into oblivion. I don't facebook so I don't know what goes on there. 

Times they are a changing:)

I guess it's a good thing this is the only group I regularly frequent for Datsun info then! I just figured when I first got my car this was the place all the Google searches seemed to link back to, so I signed up and haven't really browsed elsewhere. There's only so much time in the day. I like searching, finding and reading the experience and advise of others that are competent, more than just good pictures and fun chit chat. I like pictures and BS, but I'd rather learn or get some ideas on how to move forward rather than just BS most of the time.

Edited by 1969honda

If not for HybridZ..... I would have never attempted my LS swap. At 50 years of age, it seems to me the younger instant gratification society of facebook et.al is popular with lookers but not participators of these types of communities. Kinda like watching sports instead of doing them.

• Like 1

I guess it's a good thing this is the only group I regularly frequent for Datsun info then! I just figured when I first got my car this was the place all the Google searches seemed to link back to, so I signed up and haven't really browsed elsewhere. There's only so much time in the day. I like searching, finding and reading the experience and advise of others that are competent, more than just good pictures and fun chit chat. I like pictures and BS, but I'd rather learn or get some ideas on how to move forward rather than just BS most of the time.

This is pretty much exactly how I ended up here. Most of my commenting on the DPAN page has honestly been linking people back here. The only time I post there is when I'm having issues identifying small unusual parts (even with the FSM) as I'm working and need a quick answer, but that's probably only happened two or three times.

If not for HybridZ..... I would have never attempted my LS swap. At 50 years of age, it seems to me the younger instant gratification society of facebook et.al is popular with lookers but not participators of these types of communities. Kinda like watching sports instead of doing them.

I almost agree completely. There is a contingent of turbo LS guys who apparently got shat on here (probably rightfully so - failure to search, etc) who then took a "Screw Hybrid Z" stance and ignored this forum completely. A few of them are here, but there are a number who just won't bother. They are doers, and they have some crazy powerful (1000+ hp) swaps and it seems that the insistence on using the forum as a reference work, keeping threads on topic, not making 73,000 threads on the same subject, etc is just too much hassle. Not sure that's a problem that needs solving though. Hybrid Z is not for everybody, never has been.

• Like 1

The moderators here do a good job. I'm glad this forum has limited smut factor too. FB, YouTube, etc seems to get littered with pictures of people's girlfriends or girls folks wish were their girlfriends. And it's so easy to find yourself following those rabbit holes until you find yourself looking at things that don't smell like grease, oil or gasoline. I'm thankful to the moderators for policing content so well to keep us "on topic."

• Like 1

Keith I agree with you 100%, it's nice have a car forum that stays "on topic", it's one of the main reasons I paid for a forum membership. I have 3 young boys (all under 12) at home that regularly come sit at the desk or on the couch next to me when I'm researching and surfing for ideas on my build. It's nice not even worry about what site I'm on and what images, and the resulting questions will pop up.

I just joined DPAN. No. Not better. Lol. There is no search function, and the content reflects that.

Search is on the left hand side bud :P

Each has thier place. Facebook is good for quick noob answer, What size is this bolt.. How do i blank...what is X...

While HybridZ is better for in depth discussion. Tutorials and engineering discussions.