HybridZ

240z Ignition issues

Hello everyone,

I'm having some issues with getting my 1971 240z started. I've changed fluids, cleaned spark plugs, and got a new battery. I've had the starter and the alternator checked and they are both good. I have power going to the voltage regulator when the key is on but all I get is a clicking sound from a relay that is inside the cab on the passenger side. The fuse box has power but has been modified from stock by the previous owner. I have a video at :54 is the relay clicking. Any help is appreciated. I can also take more vids of dash and engine wiring.

all I get is a clicking sound from a relay that is inside the cab on the passenger side. The fuse box has power but has been modified from stock by the previous owner. I have a video at :54 is the relay clicking.

You didn't say WHEN you get the clicking noise.  I watched parts of the video but can't tell what's happening at the key when the click happens.  Is the click when you turn it to Start, or Acc, or Run?

I got vertigo before I could tell if you actually turned the key to Start, and had to stop.

I don't know exactly how they work but some 240Z's have an inhibitor switch.  I think it's on automatic cars to stop the engine from starting while in gear.  

If you have an automatic make sure that it's in neutral.  Also check for power at the starter solenoid wire when you turn the key to Start.  Do that for sure before you replace any parts.    I've had a loose solenoid wire that just wasn't making connection to the starter solenoid.  Almost bought a new starter...

The clicking is probably just the accessory relay turning off power to the accessories, for Starting.

Thanks for the help. I'm reminded just how rusty I am when it comes to this stuff. It turned out to be the starter solenoid and it's started now.

I now have a problem with it backfiring through the carbs.

Edited by MrCheezle