HybridZ

boosting LS1 with JCI kit

So I'm now at the point that a stock ls1 isn't enough. I'm thinking of going turbo and have already figured out what size I want for my HP goals however, looking at headers I can either use the stock truck manifolds flipped forward or even flipped up and forward. Problem is with how JCI has the ac compressor. The driver side header, I don't think will fit? Does anyone currently run a turbo with the JCI kit? Part of me thinks I might have to make my own turbo header for the driver side.

• 3 weeks later...

I can tell you for certain that there was no thoughts about a turbocharged LS motor when the JCI stuff was designed.  I worked with John back in 2003/4 to develop the components and the general guidelines were an easily maintainable engine position with OEM reliability. I had to twist his arm to go T56 rather than 4L60E. Thats one of the reason his header primaries are only 1.5". Things have come a long way since then as far as what is available to go into the cars.

Actually - I'm waiting for someone to put a 640 HP supercharged LT1 out of a CTSV into an S30.  I've seen it in a '66 Chevelle so why not a Z?

Yea, I'm waiting till weather starts to cool down in texas before I start working as it's hot as balls currently. I have a GT45 turbo as well as a set of 6.0L truck manifolds and plenty of 2.5in stainless pipe. I also ordered CXRacing's racing aluminum radiator to help increase the area I have to work with. Currently with the stock ebay aluminum radiator and camaro fans, there just simply isn't enough area in front of the ls1 to put the turbo I got in. So figured if I get dual fans in front of the radiator in a push configuration and a thinner radiator, I might have enough room to fit the turbo there without having to cut out the radiator support. I'm definitely going to have to run the truck headers in the forward and upwards configuration to clear the JCI compressor. But hopefully everything will work. My biggest concern is really having to cut out the radiator support if this new radiator doesn't give me enough clearance.

I also ordered:

60# injectors

3 O2 bungs, 2 for the stock ls1 ecu and 1 for a wideband.

50mm wastegate with 7/10/14 psi springs

all the vbands I need for 4in downpipe and 2.5in crossovers and a 2.5in flex pipe.

All I have left to order is the intercooler, piping, and blow off valve. Once everything is test fitted and looks correct I'll get my z trailered to a dyno tune and setup.

I've seen a lot of people push the intercooler way out front. Considering I have the intercooler, ac condenser, and radiator plus fans it's going to be a tight fit.

I think it's doable but just hoping this radiator gives me the clearance I need without cutting and relocating the radiator support.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so CXRacing failed to be able to get in that racing radiator... Does anyone know of a decent thin aluminum radiator I can get ?  I think CXRacing stated there's were 28.75 x 13.5 x 1.5 but not sure what else is out there that could fit?