HybridZ

Any advise on how to fix my huge photobucket failure?  I just got an email today saying that the lowest levels of Photobucket do not allow 3rd party hosting (ie, linking my stored photos to forums). The only option in their insane pricing schedule that DOES allow 3rd party hosting is $400!!! (YES, $400) a year.  So, over the last, idk, 6+ years of my Z build, now the photos are all shot to heck.  

1. That said, is it a 'failsafe' option to create an album, then link all my photos there instead of a 3rd party host? I don't want to switch hosts only to be screwed again right away.  

2. Is it possible to re-open my posts (via an admin?) to editing for the purpose of re-linking photos to an album, or somewhere else? Is that worth it? 

Thanks for your help,  I'm severely pi*sed off right now as my hobby website went kaflooey, all of my build posts, etc - all shot.  Grr.  It must have been in the fine print of an 'updated terms and conditions' or something a while back that changed their 3rd party hosting terms.   :fmad:

Yeah, it's all a matter of time though before they try to get you to pay $399 a year too.  I can't imagine anyone doing that unless they're hosting a business website, and even then I'd think there's more economical solutions. I didn't come close to any bandwidth or storage limits, but they shut me down.  I'm wondering if next month it will reset, but I really doubt it.  

Hmm reading your post I wonder if it is due to excessive traffic hitting the bandwidth limit rather then the storage limit.

Are they not letting you access your account at all? I know they crashed a few months ago and wouldn't let me access my account for 2-3 days, but then it opened up again.

As I said in your thread, photobucket has been going downhill for years now - probably for the last 10 years. I noticed in a thread on another site, all the guy's pics were down, probably for the same reason. Between this, and them forcing me to turn off my ad blocker so they can force their obnoxious ads down my throat, I'm done with them. I'm gonna go through what I have on there, and delete everything. Fortunately I don't post pics very often, so the hit on the forums won't be too bad. Unfortunately, half of the internet has their pictures hosted on there still.

Just went to their site, and it feels like 2003 again when popup ads were still a thing. Ads ******* everywhere, can barely even see the page. Photobucket can go **** themselves.

Edited by rturbo 930

Jokes on them. I just deleted my account. Apparently I had been on there since May 15th 2006 - 11 years and change. It started going down not long after I joined, maybe a year or two. I can't recall the last time I was on a slower site - even their own site was faster before disallowing ad blockers -  and I'm surprised my browser didn't crash in the process of saving things (because I'd rather save and sort on my PC than on their POS site). What a nightmare.

Not sure where to go next. IMGur is good, and easy to use, but I don't know how long they'll last in the long term - 10+ years. Flickr I'm not sure about since Yahoo is changing hands. Those are the main two that I know of. I may just not bother with any site. Uploading to the forum is kind of annoying, especially if you maintain threads on multiple sites with the same info, but as long as the site is up, the images will be too.

Edited by rturbo 930

Flickr seems to be pretty popular, but I read somewhere you can use Google Drive to link photos somehow, so I'll have to look into that.  I have an 'alumni' account from my school, which has free UNLIMITED storage space, so I have all of my pictures backed up there, full res etc. it would be great if I could use that.  

Why not post your photos here?

Also, for old posts just edit the post and add the pictures you want.

As I said in my post, if you keep a topic going on more than one forum, you end up doing twice the work when posting images if you post on two forums, 3x for three forums, etc. It isn't that convenient. The benefit of using an external image host is that you can type up a post, and literally just copy/paste onto other forums. Only minimal additional effort to post on multiple forums that way vs just one. Also, while I haven't used forum image hosting in years, my experience then was that it's kind of a pain to do compared to image hosting sites. The good ones make it really easy to upload and resize in bulk. There's a good reason why they're popular.

You say "just edit the posts" as though it would be simple, but when talking about hundreds of posts in a build thread, that is a seriously time consuming effort. You also have to remember which post had which images (because the old photos don't show anymore), and then get them all in the right order. Not a small task, it's quite tedious.

Thankfully, I only really post to one site at a time, but I have build posts for my Mustang, the Z, my Willys , not to mention lots of past projects and my own website.  

HOWEVER, I didn't realize we can edit really old posts here!  Some sites only allow editing posts for a limited amount of time before it gets 'locked' (for whatever reason).  We'll see if I care/get bored enough to save all of those old pictures over here in an album and update my content on HybridZ.  

Well I'm hosting all of my twin cam head picks on photobucket and for now the links still work. I can't even imagine having to go back and replace all of that:(

Probably just a matter of time before they get around to hitting me.

Pretty much everyone is getting hit by it. I'm seeing tons of websites with this issue. Here's the real kicker for guys like us on forums

Plus 50 offers 52GB of Storage and No Linking or 3rd Party Hosting

Plus 100 offers 102GB of Storage, Unlimited Linking and No 3rd Party Hosting

Plus 500 offers 502GB of Storage, Unlimited Linking and Unlimited 3rd Party Hosting

So at a minimum to let people click on a link to go to your picture, you're paying $100/yr. To 3rd party host and have all your images show up on any other website you're paying $400/yr.

It's an outrageous model

Edited by Zetsaz

It's an outrageous model

The only thing I can guess is the company was about to go belly up, so someone got the bright idea to try for a 'fund raiser' / last hurrah before they shut their doors. Otherwise, yeah, it's a ludicrous plan. Social suicide.

Flickr, google drive, imgur, lots of other options out there

How do you use Google Drive for 3rd party hosting? I tried to figure it out but failed.  I have unlimited storage space on google drive, so that would be AWESOME if there was a way to link those pictures.

I prefer imgur, because it gives you BB code for each image and is more specifically made for forum posting

Edit:  Though now that I test it again, not working. So nevermind, imgur it is for me.

Edited by tim.d

Well the hammer came down last night. Got the email from photofuckit that I needed to upgrade.

I decided to host the pics myself since I have web space. I downloaded the photofuckit album then re-uploaded it to my gallery page. The editing is pretty straight forward. When I go into edit mode on the post, I double click on the image. The insert image box pops up.  I then do a search on my new gallery for the image name or number. It was the same since I was working with the same image from photobucket. I then copied the new image address into the edit box on the post and I was good to go.

Now I have to do it about 300 times to update things:)

• 2 weeks later...