HybridZ

Seat mount issue

notothisrealm

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it would be pretty much impossible to guess what seat may have been installed previously using the welded-in mounts.  Furthermore, I would hesitate to reuse them unless you are able to absolutely ensure their integrity.  A lot of folks will cobble something together when installing aftermarket seats without any real consideration to strength or safety.

We have a couple of really good threads here regarding seat swaps, if you're interested.  IIRC, one is a pinned thread and another one is 280-specific (due to the hump in the trans tunnel for the catalytic converter.)

Sorry couldn't help more.

jhm hit it on the head.  No way to tell what seats were used there.  Pretty much all aftermarket seats have flat rails that could bolt into tabs like that, and even some factory seats from other cars could be mounted like that.  I would cut them out if I were you.  Even if you are still running the stock seats, it would be good to just clean it up.  If you plan to run aftermarket seats, starting fresh and designing mounts that are specific to the seat you will be installing is a much better choice than trying to re-engineer someone else's work.

Personally, when running an aftermarket seat, I prefer to make a bracket that will adapt the aftermarket seat to the factory mounting points.  This way I can avoid cutting or welding on the car, and can always return to stock if I want to.  Takes a little work, but I think it is well worth it.  I am running RX-8 seats in my Z right now, but I can swap back to stock seats any time I wish with just 4 bolts each.

• Like 1