HybridZ

Tuning help for L28ET 280Z - will not start

Autismisakiller

So here is my current situation and recent work:

L28ET - 83 Turbo dizzy 

MS2 with BIP373

Stock fuel rail and what appear to be stock injectors.

Changed oil and filter.

Changed the fuel filter and powered the fuel pump to make sure I was getting fuel to that point.

Set the engine to ~TDC and pulled the distributor apart to check the rotor position. Locked the cas back down in the middle on the range. Pictures of the cas gear and rotor are here.

Recently replaced all the plugs, wires, and coil.

Checked and I am getting spark.

Checked the signal at the injectors and I am getting signal (verified with light like in the FSM).

Wired up and calibrated the Wideband O2.

Calibrated all the engine sensors.

Tweaked some of the MS settings per a bunch of research.

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

I was able to get the car to start and run crappy for a few minutes. I didn't get a chance to get a timing light on it prior to it dying. I have included the old logs and msq as well.

Other than software the next step I plan to take is pulling injectors and making sure fuel is actually spraying. I did pull a plug and it didn't look wet with fuel or have any carbon so it would seem like I may not be getting fuel to the chamber. 

Can you guys take a look at my logs and tune to see if I am missing something?

CurrentTune 7-6-17.zip

Try starting fluid and see if it will start and run for a few seconds.  Measure fuel pressure before pulling injectors.  Fuel pumps can run in reverse, they're DC.  Confirm fuel pressure, don't assume.

Looks like you might have some good info from the previous time it started but you went all weird with the Star Wars comment.  How long ago, what did you change between when it actually started, and now?

It's been a year or so since I tried to start it. As for changes, I listed the recent changes in my post. I didn't even think of the fuel pump possibly being backwards. I will go back tomorrow and check the wiring since I did wire up the O2, maybe something got unplugged or swapped.

Your priming pulse, cranking pulse and afterstart enrichments all look astronomically high compared to what I'm running. Also your afr ratios at idle/off idle are quite high, I find my engine idles best at 12.5~ ratio and leans to 14~ at cruise rpm 2500-3000 rpm. The stock turbo injectors are 260cc and your required fuel seems high as well.(should be around 12, not 24

Edited by Svt40

Edit: SVT40 and I were typing at the same time.

Your Req-Fuel is double what it should be when your Tune is opened. . It shows as 24ms which is wrong for even a default TS setup. 

Set injector staging to " Alternating " and 2 squirts. Then recalculate Req_Fuel. both top and bottom figures should come out to 12.0 ms. Then recalculate your VE table using factory figures for stock HP and Torque. That will be a base starting point. 

If you are using the stock dropping resistors ( injectors ) you should not have PW Current Limiting enabled. ( Which it is currently )  

Your Accel enrichment tables are also messed up badly. 

What your Req_Fuel should look like. BTW, Stock injectors are 260cc not 300. 

post-44147-0-57669900-1499434883_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chickenman

Thanks for the help guys I will make those changes today. Did everything else look right?

Unfortunately it looks like my fuel pump is now bad. When I replaced the the fuel filter I powered the fuel pump directly from the battery and it worked. Now, I have tried a few different ways and even ended up running wires straight from the fuel pump to the battery and it won't kick on. Not sure what happened but looks like I will be trying to source a new one tomorrow.

I would dump that tune and start from scratch, just to get a clean slate. Too many little things wrong with it. You could end up chasing your tail over something small. 

You can Export your AFR and Timing tables to your desktop and then Import them back into your fresh Tune. The VE tables is likely screwed up due to incorrect values in Req_Fuel. Very low numbers in idle Cell areas. That's not good. If that was the only problem it would not be too bad. But too many other little things have been changed from defaults. Mainly enrichments curves such as WUE, ASE, Accel enrich. 

Would be nice if TS had a way of setting these back to baseline defaults, but it doesn't .

Make sure you are running the latest Firmware for your ECU. That should be 3.42 for and MS-2. You should not load Tunes made on different Firmware versions. You will get Format errors . Can be fixed, but a PITA. Another reason to never copy someone else's Tune. 

When you download the Firmware you will have a folder called "Tune_Files" in it you will find the Default 3.4.2 Tune. Use that to start off with a clean slate and have all the settings and enrichments etc at the factory defaults. 

I'll attach the Default 3.4.2 tune to this message. 

Default 3.4.2 Tune.zip

Edited by Chickenman

Just a thought. You mentioned that the car had not run in a year. Did you drain the tank and put in fresh fuel? Year old ( or more ) fuel could have gone stale. 

Working on a new Tune for you , but best to make sure that you aren't putting any outside obstacles in your way, such as stale fuel.