HybridZ

Rust free datsun 1978 280z worth?

Abedatsun

comes down to location really and what other examples in your area. the further away from the west coast, the price goes up. I don't believe there such thing as a rust free datsun, but rather how much rust you're willing to deal with, But if it is what he says it is, then I think the price is fair. get underneath the car, that determines the price. 

Michigan, so rust is a common occurrence haha. Car has been garage kept, babied, and only driven in sunny weather for the past 35 years (his sister owned it in California I believe for the 3-4 years prior). I got under the car and i didn't see any noticeable rust, inspected frame rails and they are as should be without rust. Under the hatch is rust free, battery tray, rocker panels, and just about any where else I looked. So as for rust, it is 98% rust free, the 2% could possibly be hiding haha. 5 speed l28, shifts and runs solid, uncracked dash, near perfect interior, was repainted in the early 80's with a very impressive paint job. I just want the opinion of a fellow Z owner/enthusiast to strengthen my decision.

I can see paying that amount for a COMPLETELY rust free Z. The amount of time and annoyance of rust repairs really adds up. Especially if you have to pay a professional to fix it. Plus cars that are in that condition body wise are usually pretty good for the rest of the car...often complete, unmolested, etc.

Seems like a steal if it's as good as it looks in the pics. Take an awl (pointy screw driver) and probe for rust from underneath. Check seams where floor pans meet firewall, rails, doglegs, and the infamous battery area.

If it truly is a solid chassis with uncracked dash then yes it absolutely is worth that price. I sold a 280 a few years back for that same amount, pretty much same history and same solid shell as that one, except I had a dash cap over a cracked dash, but the triple webers helped offset that. Still regret selling it bc I haven't come across one that clean since then (for under $10k anyways). Keep in mind this was several years back before the value of the s30 chassis started going up. I'd snag it while you can and don't look back.

Edited by zeeboost

Thanks guys, truly appreciate all the comments and advice! I Mac 100% going to snag it up, I think it's a steal but didn't wanna go into it blind. Rb26powered74zcar if I don't buy it for some unfortunate, I'll share the info your way.