HybridZ

Comparing triples to plenum induction

madkaw

I wish I did or could have degree'd the cam, but the motor was in the car which makes it really hard to do. I think I have a good idea how close I am the numbers since I did previously did a proper degreeing of the cam.

i'd be curious of others that have shaved a head this much with NO shims and how far off the timing was .  

• 2 weeks later...

Well sometimes you just wing it, but advancing the cam woke this engine up -earlier- .

Now at 9 degrees advance I probably made up for chain slack , head shave .

Yes it's a butt dyno, but with the cam retarded I couldn't chirp the tires thru the gears , but now I can - just like I did with the triples .

I did notice that my AFRs went lean after the cam adjustment, so that is a good thing. Added more fuel (point and click) and power with higher VEs .

So though there is a bit of difference between triples and this plenum , it is negligible by the butt dyno.

I know - put it on the dyno- I'm close

• 2 weeks later...

It bears repeating my DCOE N42 experience with the butt dyno...
With the 40 DCOE's and header it sounded great, FELT fast as hell, but dynoed at 87RWHP
Changing ignition leads, putting an all stock 76 EFI system onto the car (including stock exhaust manifold with MSA downpipe to the same 2.5" Crush-Bent Exhaust) and changing plug wires with the stock air box and K&N filter in it had EVERYBODY saying the car was "torquey at the bottom end" and "fell off up top"...
Consensus from multiple Butt Dynos was the car was more tractable due to the torque, but wasn't as 'fast'...

Of course, it also Dynoed at 147 RWHP at the same shop and same dyno the DCOES were set up... 

Now, the DCOE's were NOT optimized. But the sounds and the WAY they seemed to have an "on-off" switch throttle response convinced EVERYBODY including me that they had gobs of power over a stock setup. Of course, and properly set up DCOE set should make more...but the point of this post was the butt dyno was worthless in any manner of empirical evaluation and gave universal 100% incorrect feedback.
:

New Zed is correct in that the thread was about discussing my butt feel of the power curve.

And for reference I was running the shorty Mikuni intake so runner length is pretty close.

If I was to guess what the outcome of this switch of induction system I would have guessed more torque down low and running out of steam higher rpm- but really seems opposite . Not that I knew what I was talking about , but I thought it would make for good discussion.

I will be advancing the cam timing to see what affect that has on things. I'd like to get the engine to where it seems to be tapering on power towards red line- but now it seems to wake up later then the Mikunis and pull harder the further into the rpms.

I am having the opposite problem.  

Oh and my tuner kept putting in more Advance and the engine kept liking it...  

I am thinking that I will be popping in an adjustable cam pulley soon...

If you read Racer Brown he was all about advancing the intake closing to make the magic happen.

I'd like to go a couple more degrees but unsure how now that I've run out of adjustment without actually going a tooth ;-O

Kirkster-I guess you meant he kept putting in cam advance? or ?

If you read Racer Brown he was all about advancing the intake closing to make the magic happen.

I'd like to go a couple more degrees but unsure how now that I've run out of adjustment without actually going a tooth ;-O

Kirkster-I guess you meant he kept putting in cam advance? or ?

More timing advance...