HybridZ

Hoke performance LS2 engine and T56 mounts

I just received my LS2 from a 2006 GTO, looking for engine and T56 mounts. At this point I am leaning towards  the Hoke setup, my only reservation is the cost. Is there any builders out there that  have installed an LS2 in a 240Z that can give me there experience with the kit. My concerns are I want a setup that allows me to use the low mount alternator, I will be installing a oil pan from a corvette, and I would like the engine to be in the best location for performance, with enough clearance that the exhaust does not hang too low. At this point I will be installing CX racing long tube headers, or making my own.

I have the CXR kit and I am very happy with it.... Allows for low mount alternator. Hokes stuff is "better"......... and I would have gone that route if cash was plentiful and they were available. "Better", however, can sometimes be subjective. My CXR stuff works great and I would not change it out for anything out there now that it's in. Personally, there are so many other upgrades to spend money on that are objectively "better", I would still buy what works well for less and spend more on parts like brakes, suspension, gauges, tires, LSD, axles, etc,etc..... that will actually matter in the performance and safety departments. The list just never quits. My .02.

PS welcome to the addiction. Jim

I just recently finished my LS2/T56 install using Hoke's kit and was extremely satisfied with it. I was provided one of the beta kits, so I'd imagine the quality has only improved since then. Even the beta version IMO was extremely high quality, and in my eyes "future proofs" my swap. The only change I made to what came from the junkyard was swapping to the Corvette oil pan like you mentioned. I used the GTO alternator, sensors, etc. without issue. I had the car weighed at all 4 corners prior to the swap, and plan on having it done again, but don't have those numbers just yet. Based on my previous measurements and also what it looked like at the alignment shop, Hoke's kit appears to have shifted the weight distribution more to the rear than the L6, and also a better balance L/R as well, both positives in my book. It will definitely provide a lower center of gravity as well.

I used Hawks longtube headers, and although it's _extremely_ tight, it all fits, works great, and sounds incredible. Since you mentioned ground clearance, I will say the headers do sit low (below the oil pan), but I think that's just a necessary evil with 3" collectors. I immediately reduced to 2.5" and ran dual 2.5" all the way back to 2 Borla Pro XS mufflers and it's tucked up in the transmission tunnel enough for me to feel OK about it minus right at the collector.

I have plenty of pictures across various stages of the swap, so feel free to PM me and let me know if there's anything in particular you'd like to see. I'm also happy to answer any other questions you may have as well. It's a big undertaking, but having now come out of the other side of it... boy is it worth it!  :2thumbs:

Does anyone know if the Sanderson 1 5/8" headers on the JTR web site will work with either the Hoke or CRX kit? I have to say that  Austin from Hoke has been very helpful answering email questions. To me the customer service may be worth the extra cost. I have never received an email back from CRX. They may just be to busy to answer email questions. I know these headers would not flow as well as long tube headers but I would be able to custom build the exhaust from the header back with 2.5" pipe and make sure I have the most ground clearance possible. I went to pick up my LS2 and T56 at the freight company yesterday and it looks like they dropped something heavy on the top of the engine. Waiting for the insurance company to write me a check before I accept the engine.

post-54185-0-37766200-1499961612_thumb.jpg

post-54185-0-35269200-1499961629_thumb.jpg

Edited by mrk3cobra

I would be very surprised if they didn't, given how much bigger the Hawks headers are, which do fit. That said, you should definitely check with Austin first. He was patient and willing to help me with countless silly questions across my swap. 

Ugh. RIP intake manifold! The good news is, that's easy to swap out. Depending on how your fuel is setup, you may want to swap the inlet rail to the passenger side anyway. Just get them to replace it with a FAST manifold instead! :wink:

For reference, here's a pic of my Hawks, reduced immediately from 3" to 2.5"...

2017 04 29 19.59.56 copy

Edited by BrandenZ

I can tell you that the CXR headers and y pipe hang very low...... lowest point on my car actually. If it was a daily driver I would switch it out but since I limit driving to grins and giggles on the street and track the car it's not a problem. I just take most driveways slow and avoid speed bumps at all costs.

Thanks for the picture, can you tell me how far below the frame rails the 2.5" exhaust pipe is were it goes through the Hoke transmission mount.

Pete

I'm measuring roughly 1" below the frame rails, but unfortunately my car is a terrible candidate for this question. The PO appears to have replaced the floorpans and re-welded in the rails. I don't trust them as a reference point. In fact, they caused issues for me with the transmission mount install. If you take a close look at my picture, notice the wedges attached to the mounts, which I had to use to even out the massively uneven floorpans. I'd probably check with Hoke here on theoretical ground clearance. If I had perfect floorpans, the wedges would not have been necessary and I believe that would have the effect of tilting both headers, and also the exhaust as a whole, a bit higher up in the transmission tunnel.

I can tell you that the CXR headers and y pipe hang very low...... lowest point on my car actually. If it was a daily driver I would switch it out but since I limit driving to grins and giggles on the street and track the car it's not a problem. I just take most driveways slow and avoid speed bumps at all costs.

My Hawks headers are the lowest point on my car, and I'm in the same boat as you. It's an autox/track car that only sees casual/pleasure driving on the street. I'm not sure I'd trust the ground clearance daily driving in and out of the city, but for neighborhood romps, avoiding speed bumps and taking any driveways reallllll easy, it's been totally fine so far. Technically I could shim the mounts and bring the headers up higher... or just raise the dang car on my coilovers... but I'm not gonna.  :flamedevi