HybridZ

Injectors making clicking noise?? PLZ HELP

Hey guys,

I have a 76 280z with stock L28. When I turn the ignition over to run, as to engage the fuel pump, everything works fine. Pump turns on, car will start and run smoothly. If I engage the fuel pump and let the car sit before actually turning the motor over, a clicking noise comes from the area of the injectors. It can only be described as a "electronic click" that lasts about 1.5 seconds. It does not sound healthy, almost like a electrical short. I disconnected all injectors and tried again, noise gone. I then individually plugged the injectors in one by one, and each one of the "clicked" one by one. Anyone have any experience with this? I can only assume this isn't good. Thanks!

Post a video, but Miles is right. My 77 280z had noisy injectors (electric solenoid clicking) turns out they where stock from the factory, so I bench cleaned them which cleared up some clicking, but eventually I replaced all of them with new Bosch set. That's just how it is sometimes with 40 year old electronics.

Hey guys,

I have a 76 280z with stock L28. When I turn the ignition over to run, as to engage the fuel pump, everything works fine. Pump turns on, car will start and run smoothly. If I engage the fuel pump and let the car sit before actually turning the motor over, a clicking noise comes from the area of the injectors. It can only be described as a "electronic click" that lasts about 1.5 seconds. It does not sound healthy, almost like a electrical short. I disconnected all injectors and tried again, noise gone. I then individually plugged the injectors in one by one, and each one of the "clicked" one by one. Anyone have any experience with this? I can only assume this isn't good. Thanks!

Saw your post over on zcar.com and it's different.  So that's going to cause you problems if things seem different in that short amount of time.

One thing that can cause a "shorting out" electrical noise is the fuel pump contact switch in the AFM.  As it starts to open due to low air flow the fuel pump relay will start chattering.  But it's under the steering wheel in the cabin.

If the injectors don't have power and only click once when you reconnect them that would mean that they're open and dumping fuel, if the pump is on.  So that doesn't make sense.

You've got some things that aren't factory stock so that adds to the difficulty.  The fuel pump should not run when you turn the key On, and the digital tach you mentioned over on zcar could be part of the problem too.

• 1 month later...