HybridZ

Cheap Kit or Individual Part Options for LS Swap

The title basically says it all, but I'm looking for the best option for a swap with a LM7 and a 4L60E. I'm looking at this kit from JTR, this engine mount from Dirty Dingo, and this kit from JCI. I'm not really sure which kit is the easiest to work with and the best value. Obviously the mount from Dirty Dingo would need some sort of mounts for the transmission, but it's bolt in and adjustable. Opinions and knowledge would be great.

My car is a '77 280Z, just in case that makes any kind of difference with any kits.

In theory the 4L60 and T56 line up the same.  Unless there is a turbo or some other reason to not use the CXR kit, the headers alone are worth the money in my opinion.  The rest of the kit is free.  I bought the whole kit all the way to the tail pipe and it all worked.  I had to do very little fabrication to get it all to work.  Drove the car 1300 miles on the Hot Rod Power Tour and had no issues that were not my fault.  I know it looks like a lot of money but the exhaust is all stainless and all V band clamps.  Long tube headers, motor and transmission mounts all of it in one kit.  Sometimes being penny wise can lead to dollars silly.  

If the accessories are a question.  I used the stock F body alternator and pan.  JCI AC and all the stock sensors, did move the ECM temp to the other head and used the JCI temp sender adapter.  JMHO  Richard. .  

Edited by Richard Oben

Another member here, RebekahsZ can chime in on his experience with the JCI kit. Personally, I can vouch for Hoke's kit:

http://hokeperformance.squarespace.com/store/s30-ls2-engine-mounting-kit

I recently finished an LS2/T56 swap into my 240z. The only thing it required was swapping to the C6 Corvette oilpan. I'm using all the factory sensors, alternator, etc (I did delete power steering and A/C). Other than drilling holes for additional supports for the transmission mount, it's about as bolt-up as it comes. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions and best of luck with whatever you decide!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, to be clear, I'm really not too worried about an exhaust system. I'm probably just going to put some headers on and that's about it. I'll have to look into the differences between the T56 and 4L60E, but if they mount up the same then I have more options.

Also, there seems to be two JCI kits. I found one for $300 I believe on Broken Kitty and one for $600. Wasn't sure what the major differences were, so maybe someone has experience with that enough to inform me. I'm just looking to go as bare bones as I can. I'll worry about the A/C later, but I did take the compressor when I picked up the engine.

You may want to read through the LS swap "facts not opinions" thread.... there is some good info there. Not every mount works with every header as well. Your post is a good start for info but good solid research is better..... I would look closely at the multiple builds and read them all way through, there is a lot of info on this site. Good luck with your build. Jim