HybridZ
SuperDan

HybridZ may be shutting down.

Due decreasing traffic over the last 3 years, major reduction in Google Adsense payments an limited donations, I may be forced to either shutdown or see if I can find someone who is interested in buying HybridZ.

It has gotten to the point that between server fees, software licencing fees, archival/backup fees etc the site is no longer able to sustain it's self.
Add to that the fact that the server is now out of space and needs to be upgraded. Also the software is out of date and is no longer supported by IPS so it has to be updated to the new version.

If I was in a better financial position I would have no problem being out of pocket but I just can't afford it any longer.

It's not going to happen immediately but soon because I need to figure how to repay current donating members etc.
I will defiantly let you guys informed as it unfolds.

It was a fun run guys, 17 years!

Dan

This really sucks for sure. 

I think if you publish the dollar amount you need we can quickly see if it viable to do a donation drive. I have absolutely no clue what kind of money these sites cost to run.

Derek

Posted (edited)

$2010 per year. Wow I thought for sure donations would cover that amount.

I'm down for $100. So we need 19 more people to give a $100.

Edited by JSM

Wow guys thanks!

5-7 Years ago the site made plenty of money using google ads to cover the expenses and we did not even do donations during that time.

Then we started getting scamers show up in the for sale section decided to to require a donation to post to weed them out and it worked.

I even donated the donation money we got each year to a couple of charities and a local homeless shelter.

Over that past 3 years that has changed a lot and it was requiring donation money to help with the expenses.

Specifically the google ads has gone WAY down, this is not just a HybridZ problem but ALL advertising sites have been hit. Ad blockers have really done some serious damage here LOL

Another thing to note is that HybirdZ is not a business and I have to pay income taxes on the money that comes in and there is not a lot to write off each year.

Posted (edited)

I talked to Dan and I'm donating 5 sets of kick panel speaker pods to the cause.

Either low profile for the 240 for $100.00 or the 280 panels for $125.00. 100% of the money will go to HybridZ. I'll cover shipping to anywhere in the lower 48 states.

Post here your pledge and Dan will let me know you paid. I'll pm you for shipping info.

Dig deep people. That's a whole lot better than a tote bag

Edit: All the panels have been claimed. Thanks for participating.

Edited by Derek
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

No this can not happen as HybridZ is the first thing I look at in the morning, several times throughout the day and the last thing I end my night with. It is my educational Z college, my place to see things that make me say wow with inspiration and a place for me to stay motivated through seeing others builds. I will donate $100 and dig through whatever leftover L28 parts I have to sell and donate the money back into this fine site. 

$100 on it's way...

Edited by Nelsonian

SuperDan its a tough economy for sure especially since this site is free for everyone now you made me feel bad cause im running an ad blocker. Derek thats a great idea for the speaker panels ill take a set of 240z low profile.

Donate $50 (sent already)

I already have a donation of my harness/ecu kits sold via hbz but no one has purchased since I become an authorized re seller. The least I could do also anyone looking to purchase diyautotune.com products I can get them for same price and all the profit will go here. 

Hmm, it's truly great to see folks digging deep to help save the site. I'll pitch in shortly as well.

But let's also see if we can help solve some of the problems and keep the site sustainable for the long term.

Some thoughts:

1] Would trimming old deadweight topics help any by saving server space?

2] Would disabling sections of the site that aren't really used help at all, such as the gallery and garage functions?

3] Is it possible to put up an adblock detection wall, requiring users to disable it or whitelist the site?

4] Is it possible to reach out to Z car part suppliers and form a sponsorship program with them through the site? They pay a set fee and get ad space and forum space to sell their goods.

That's just off the top of my head. At the end of the day, this list has to be kept sensible though, and not create a large amount of additional work for the administration team. The site is provided as a service to the community after all, and not to provide profit/income.

^That does raise some good points. If we kind of cut out some of the fluff would that help? Some old threads without active images are pretty hard if not impossible to follow as is. 

Would it be helpful if we organized some older topics into the main points and conglomerated them, effectively cutting out some of the fluff? I'm talking properly old topics. I would be more than happy to organize some of the more major or minor topics into more focused posts or something of that nature. I've always appreciated that you can find almost every perspective on crazy specific topics here.

Further donation from me will be inbound shortly as well.

Im a little embarrassed to be honest. I really thought that the site was no longer of interest to most Z guys because of the lack of traffic that we get, guess I was wrong (not the first time).

Hmm, it's truly great to see folks digging deep to help save the site. I'll pitch in shortly as well.

But let's also see if we can help solve some of the problems and keep the site sustainable for the long term.

Some thoughts:
1] Would trimming old deadweight topics help any by saving server space?
2] Would disabling sections of the site that aren't really used help at all, such as the gallery and garage functions?
3] Is it possible to put up an adblock detection wall, requiring users to disable it or whitelist the site?
4] Is it possible to reach out to Z car part suppliers and form a sponsorship program with them through the site? They pay a set fee and get ad space and forum space to sell their goods.

That's just off the top of my head. At the end of the day, this list has to be kept sensible though, and not create a large amount of additional work for the administration team. The site is provided as a service to the community after all, and not to provide profit/income.

Good ideas, most of the storage problems can be solved by just moving the site to a new server.

This server is old and for the same price we can get 5 times the storage, 4 times the CPU and memory, blah blah blah.

Also getting the site software up to the current version will help immensely. Like fixing the donation email spamming. We are on software that is no longer supported so to get help from them it costs a lot of money unless we are on the current version.

I agree with the trimming of deadweight topics. Employing members to nominate threads for deletion by simply posting a specific key-phrase would allow admins to pinpoint nominated threads quickly, review and delete if deemed appropriate. No additional programming needed, just search for the key-phrase.

I also agree with the donation counter. I try and donate annually, but seeing a date looming closer and closer would very likely encourage anyone on the fence to donate.

I like the idea of number 4, but I've seen it get get ugly when a vender doesn't like a post speaking ill of them. Imagine Senza Pari or California Datsun being a donating vendor...

Posted (edited)

Please don't do this. I would much rather donate than have to deal with ads. At the very least, make it so that donating members can opt out of ads. Having to deal with ads is probably the one thing that would make me stop coming here. Although, I get the feeling that some people who use the site infrequently and don't really care about it may just go somewhere else rather than bother with disabling the adblocker. There's a good reason adblockers are so popular.

Trimming deadweight topics is a good idea, but would be time consuming. Maybe we could put threads from before a certain date into a read-only archive. With the exception of a few long ongoing threads, I don't see many really old threads being posted in. And I've noticed that the really old threads can often be kind of useless, with outdated info, broken links, etc. Disabling a lot of the unused site features is also a good idea, and easier.

Edited by rturbo 930

Posted (edited)

I sent a message years ago, before I had PayPal, about an address to send a check or cash to.  I never got a response, probably because there was enough money rolling in from Google ads  With that in mind, maybe make the donation process easier and clearer.

I just got on to the Donation page, (hidden under the More drop-down and invisible unless you know where to look), and clicked the Donate Now button, and got an error message.  Maybe $5 is too small, or maybe it's something else.  But I got blocked, with no explanation.  I was not allowed to Donate.

Anyway, make it easy, and clear, and maybe add a few words about why it matters, and the fact that you can use the For Sale area, and the small donations might roll in.

Also notice the ad on the Donate page.It's one of those Trolling type ads, but it's put there by Googleadservices.  It looks like a virus-containing ad.  Be nice if the bad ads were automatically blocked.  I know it's more work, but ads like that are why people run adblockers.

Actually, I can't add a picture in the Announcements section Reply, apparently.  But if you try to Donate $5 you'll see the error message.

Edit - I see now that the $5.00 is just a ghost image, a suggestion.  Not clear though, and just goes to Error.  Also, PayPal is the only option, so if somebody doesn't have PayPal they can't donate.  The internet is tending towards super-easy cash transfer, with swipes and Prime and One Clicks.  Got to keep up.

Edited by NewZed