HybridZ
SuperDan

HybridZ may be shutting down.

pparaska    584

I bought a hat & shirt back in the day, but seems time to buy more.

While I may not frequent the site like I used to, but I did learn so much about building my 280Z-06 (LS6 power) since most of it was new to me coming from owning, building & racing a pair of 510s for 12 years before selling them and getting the Z. I still refer people to this site via FB, etc., so glad to see the interest is still plentiful. It is an amazing resource. Donation coming.

Ditto!

I don't get on much anymore.  (Project Z is as finished as it ever will be.)  But I send people here from FB all of the time.

The Infidel    13
Posted (edited)

I see a lot of suggestions of already been made in regards to trimming the fat and making the site more economical to run. Like more efficient software and removal of forum options/extras that don't get really utilized.

But what about the removal of the "you must donate to site, to sell" rule in the marketplace? I know that sounds counterproductive on what we're trying to accomplish here, but wouldn't the increase traffic and ad revenue offset that loss? I can't even remember the last time I purchased something from hybridz marketplace. I get everything off of Facebook group classifieds.

Edited by The Infidel

rp975    3

I have not visited the site for a while but will change that now. 

I have a thread on my build here, yes still not finished after 12-14 years but will post some more info soon.

I appreciate the work done to keep this valuable reference available to z car enthusiasts.

I have just donated $105 AUD.

Rob

Derek    46

Derek is this offer still available?

Yes it is.

Pm me when you donate and I'll get ahold of Dan. Patience may be in order though since there seems to be some lag between the donation and it actually posting. 

Thanks for supporting!

rturbo 930    27

But what about the requirement that if you would like to use the market place and sell parts you need to be a donating member? I know that sounds counterproductive on what we're trying to accomplish here, but wouldn't the increase traffic and ad revenue offset that loss? I can't even remember the last time I purchased something from hybridz marketplace. I get everything off of Facebook group classifieds.

Pretty sure that's how it is already. You have to be a donating member to sell parts on here. That requirement was originally put in place to deter spammers.

Dat260    15

There is no way this site should shut down. Iam glad many people stepped up to save it. I've learned so much about my car. I remember 15 years ago I would spend hours reading posts. I've contributed a few times but got distracted with facebook and other social medias. I will start again to contribute.

Mr Porter, I admire what you do for this site. Please take my money.

Regards, Ari Ohayon (dat260)

jhm    116

Dan-

$100 sent.  I'm glad you spoke up and said something, and I'm also glad to see the high level of quick response to save our beloved HybridZ forum!

I refer to HBZ several times a week, and would probably be lost without it.

Many thanks to you, and all the Moderators and Admins, for all your hard work making it the best source of Z car info on the web!

r/John

rturbo 930    27

I think he was suggesting that the requirement be removed if I'm not mistaken.

It seems we trade in knowledge here more than parts. Feedback and selling on forums used to be huge. Facebook and apps seems to have kind of driven that down.

Oh. Right. It was late haha. Yeah, I get why we have the requirement, and it seems to have been effective, but there's certainly a downside to it. But I think the larger problem is that no one uses forums anymore.

Nope, no, not going to happen....  I stop paying attention for a few years, then once I try to spool my project back up and sneak back in to the community I hear that HybridZ is about to shut down ?  Can't have that.  Little bit of cash is on the way, and sorry I haven't done it sooner.

Jason

SuperDan    315

Sorry for the lack of updates. Been busy helping my dad who just had knee replacement surgery.

Anyways, just want to thank everyone who donated to keep things going.

I have gotten offers to to take over management of the forums but at this point I do not see a need now that the financial issues have been resolved.

Iv'e been working on the the test server I setup to do the software upgrade and have been getting our new server configured.

I'm getting close to the point of having to make a decision on how to proceed.

Option 1 is to move the site as is to the new server then upgrade the forum software later. This was the option I initially choose but there is a problem that if something goes wrong then I may need to pay IPS to help fix it.

Option 2 is upgrade the software first then move to the new server.

Choices, choices...

Option 1 is to move the site as is to the new server then upgrade the forum software later. This was the option I initially choose but there is a problem that if something goes wrong then I may need to pay IPS to help fix it.

Option 2 is upgrade the software first then move to the new server.

Choices, choices...

How about "move" everything to the new location while leaving actual DNS pointing here, do the upgrade on the new server, then repoint DNS once the upgrade is done ?  Just have to let everyone know things posted while this is going on will be lost, but should be fine if you are talking a few hours to a day.  Assuming of course you are willing to do it all at once.

Jason

Ereschkigal    0

How about "move" everything to the new location while leaving actual DNS pointing here, do the upgrade on the new server, then repoint DNS once the upgrade is done ?  Just have to let everyone know things posted while this is going on will be lost, but should be fine if you are talking a few hours to a day.  Assuming of course you are willing to do it all at once.

If you do that I recommend an information on the main page/title/whatever of the old space, because DNS caches will cause confusion.

The Infidel    13

Pretty sure that's how it is already. You have to be a donating member to sell parts on here. That requirement was originally put in place to deter spammers.

I clarified my post, I'm suggesting removal of the rule to increase traffic.

If the staff can't be bothered with moderating a forum, I suggest they ask for help. I run a few FB z groups that have a considerable amount of classified traffic compared to hybridz as a whole and really not that difficult to manage.

znx    0

Donated. I think it's been pretty well covered here, but I can help re-home/re-host/re-program stuff if needed. I've been slinging code all over the web since the '90s, and I am confident I could assist you in finding a more cost-effective hosting option with a minimum of downtime.

If you do that I recommend an information on the main page/title/whatever of the old space, because DNS caches will cause confusion.

Just drop the TTL ahead of time, or set up a secondary temporary domain and redirect while you wait for caches to clear.

Tony D    143

It's a bit like putting "no 56k" in the thread titles. Maybe there's someone out there who still has 56k, but high speed internet is the standard now.

Ohhhh, dude... If I could share my speed logs from the phone... 

"High Speed" is very subjective!

Tony D    143

Dan,

If it comes down to the point where you have to close the website, please let me make a copy of the databases, it would be a shame to see all the information over the past 20 years to vanish. I know there are a lot of Z peeps around the world that end up on the forum when searching for solutions to problems.

If you need help reducing costs for maintence + backups, it's something that I know moderately well, would be more than happy to help out!

^^^ Now selling a copy of the database on an updated basis for offline viewing, or possible compilation into a book...

now that sounds interesting!

Namor    1

My donation expired about a week ago, and I went ahead and donated again.  However, in the meantime I have received 7 private messages telling me that my group promotion has expired.  I basically get one every day.  Anyone else have this issue?