HybridZ
MichaelsVintage

Exciting news! I just got a 240Z race car!

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone! My name is Mike Clifford, and my father and I run Michael's Vintage Racing. We work on mostly British cars at our shop, but Z-cars have always caught my attention at the track and I've kept one eye open in case something appeared at the right time.

Luckily, that time has come! :D

36426413136_d5168a5f54_z.jpg
36426411626_b156346edc_z.jpg
36426409706_797e228eeb_z.jpg
36426408166_4b0d6f3c12_z.jpg
36426407226_65454be0bc_z.jpg

This is all new ground for me, but I've already got a list of things I'm excited to do to the car :)

I've been reading up the past few days on Zs to familiarize myself, and I want to absorb as much information as I can ASAP. I've been reading about:
Basic information
Weak spots with race cars
Differences between 240/260/280 cars

If there's anywhere else I should definitely go, I'm looking forward to it!

Edited by MichaelsVintage

Are you planning to race it?

You bet! The car is already VRG legal and will be SVRA legal with only a couple small changes. I'm also considering using it as a platform to introduce people to vintage racing, either through ride-alongs, rentals for license schools, or race weekend rentals. That's still just a thought, but I'm going to drive the car at NJMP in September and see how it feels. If it's as comfortable and balanced as I keep reading these cars are, it may just happen! :)

rturbo 930    27
Posted (edited)

Hey dude. You probably recognize my username from r3v. Good to see you here.

BTW, that's a 75-76 280z, or possibly a 74.5 260Z. The VIN, or door jamb ID plate, if present, should narrow it down. 

Edited by rturbo 930

Hey dude. You probably recognize my username from r3v. Good to see you here.

BTW, that's a 75-76 280z, or possibly a 74.5 260Z. The VIN, or door jamb ID plate, if present, should narrow it down. 

Hey, I do!

Good point, the car is technically a '74 260 but it has a 240 engine and brakes. I figure it's simpler to refer to it as the car it'll race as, but I can understand it being confusing :)

NewZed    56

I wondered about the year.  

rturbo's not confused.  And the year of the engine doesn't determine the year of the car.  Not even for British cars.

The 260Z came in two variants, an early and a late.  But the brakes didn't change until mid-1976  You should get the facts, the loosey-goosey stuff isn't really going to work, on any of the Z car sites.

rturbo 930    27

I wondered about the year.  

rturbo's not confused.  And the year of the engine doesn't determine the year of the car.  Not even for British cars.

The 260Z came in two variants, an early and a late.  But the brakes didn't change until mid-1976  You should get the facts, the loosey-goosey stuff isn't really going to work, on any of the Z car sites.

He knows the year of the engine doesn't determine the year of the car. Even though it's a 260Z, he's racing it as a 240z, with 240z engine and brakes. As far as the racing organization is concerned, it's a 240Z.

NewZed    56

He knows the year of the engine doesn't determine the year of the car. Even though it's a 260Z, he's racing it as a 240z, with 240z engine and brakes. As far as the racing organization is concerned, it's a 240Z.

I was talking about representing it here as a 240Z.  And on the other forums he's on.  

Engine and brakes defining race class is a weird thing.  What's the point?

jhm    116

Nice find!  Congratulations, and welcome to HBZ and the world of Z cars.  You'll hopefully find them as much fun, and likely much more reliable, than their British counterparts!   :)

FYI -- the link you provided in your original post to "Vintage Racing" connects to some weird wholesale website.  The link may be corrupted or incorrectly defined.

Again, welcome and good luck with your new toy!

rturbo 930    27

FYI -- the link you provided in your original post to "Vintage Racing" connects to some weird wholesale website.  The link may be corrupted or incorrectly defined.

He didn't post that link. It's an ad of some sort. You'll notice similar links in other posts in this thread, including mine.

Nice find! Congratulations, and welcome to HBZ and the world of Z cars. You'll hopefully find them as much fun, and likely much more reliable, than their British counterparts! :)

FYI -- the link you provided in your original post to "Vintage Racing" connects to some weird wholesale website. The link may be corrupted or incorrectly defined.

Again, welcome and good luck with your new toy!

Thanks, I'm really looking forward to it! Yes definitely one of those "big deal" cars and I'm excited to have been able to get my hands on one.

I was nervous about your link comment; turns out turbo was correct about it being an ad.

Since you mentioned links, if anyone wants to see what I normally work on feel free to visit the site I made for the shop! It's www.michaelsvintageracing.com. There are photos and videos of all the cars there!

Posted (edited)

Awesome, another vintage Z racer! I race HSR and SVRA in the southeast and also engineer for some others. Let me know if you have any questions.

Very cool, I'm sure we've seen you around! I'm positive I'll have questions in the future if you don't mind, but I still have to learn enough to know what those questions are :)

Edit: Now that I'm on a laptop, I see what jhm was talking about with the bogus Amazon link in my original post. I fixed that by hyperlinking the whole shop name to our shop's website. One victory for the little guys! :D

Edited by MichaelsVintage

I would just leave it as is. Keep it vintage!

It's pretty rough cosmetically, so it's going to need a repaint one way or the other, and I'd like this car to stand out from the crowd a little bit. Additionally, if I do end up going the rental route I think the car would be a great way to advertise our shop and its colors.

I tallied up the whopping 169 votes I received in the livery poll, and here are the final scores!

Type 1: 73 votes
Type 2: 27 votes
Type 3: 58 votes
Type 4: 11 votes

These are some designs I and various fans came up with in the meantime! If you have any opinions of these or any other ideas, feel free to share!

36531884520_61800282e0_b.jpg

36093899134_233b0109c4_b.jpg

36531884590_09836dbd94_b.jpg

36531884650_f8891c7e48_b.jpg

36093899214_6b5cd3b6ab_b.jpg

36531884760_3fd1f0a4c1_b.jpg

36093899294_daa9d73e85_b.jpg

36531884840_05e5e5dfce_b.jpg

The Z's first race weekend with me is over, and it went great! The car had no issues, it ran great, and I had an absolute blast learning about it! The welded rear was a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to learning how to make one work. The road gearing is a bit wider than ideal but very usable, and once I started double-clutching The gearbox worked very well. I surprised a lot of people with the car's pace, including myself! I can't wait to get the car out again as we continue to make improvements. Photos coming soon!