HybridZ

2009 WRX drivetrain to 280z

kegomatix

I love these posts. 

I would say this is not a feasible project unless you have the skills to design, fixture and weld tube frame chassis. You would have to tube up the front at minimum. Flat and Inline or V engines require completely different design considerations in the engine bay. GO look at how tight even some of the V6 swaps are, like the VQ.

I would recommend looking at swapping into a 914, if you're just dyyying to put it in something else. 

I mean boxer has been done before, and AWD has also been implemented before. Doing both I can't say I have seen and there are some logistic points of contention granted those could be solved creatively or via hack job. It is some what feasible compared to some other options, granted not nearly as easy as almost all others.

I think what project binky showed me the most was that you can fit stuff in the space pretty easily. Getting it all to work properly without killing you is the tough part. What good is all that effort if it handles like a mini van.

4 hours ago, seattlejester said:

I mean boxer has been done before, and AWD has also been implemented before.

Who did a boxer? As for AWD, I can think of exactly two off the top of my head. One is the 2+2 V8 racer from Australia, the other is some hack job from Thailand or something where they shortened the wheelbase by several inches. I think they basically swapped the Skyline front and rear suspension + driveline in, as is. Looks awful.

IMO, if you want either a boxer or AWD, just get something that has it already. Trying to put them in a Z is like putting a square peg in a round hole.

The AWD one is the V8 one with I think purple livery. Not much info on it that I have looked for. Haven't seen the one from thailand, not sure I want to with that endorsement lol.

The boxer one wasn't done exactly well, at least the one on here:

But he did show it could be done via just moving the whole driveline forward. Not ideal and would probably handle worse than a subaru, but feasible yes.

Agreed, placing an engine in somewhere is not very difficult based on your definition of "in" and how comfortable you are with a sawzall/angle grinder, making it all work together is a completely other matter.

There is a chassis swap that is making some progress on GRM https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/subaru-powered-datsun-240z/128669/page3/

That would be the way I would do it if I was intent on doing it. Just keep the mounting points and graft the body onto it.

I think people have done it do 510's given they have the right "shortness" for it and mods like shock tower removal is a thing that I've seen more on 510's than on Z's (that is still a small number like two 510's to 0 Z's).

Yeah, regarding the boxer swap, until someone actually gets it done and running, I'm not counting it. The purple V8 car you're talking about is the same one I was referring to, BTW. It belongs to a guy named Kevin Mackrell.

I managed to find the other one I was talking about. The track width and wheel base make it look really wonky. http://jdm-culture.com/adree-hamid-r32-in-disguised-s30-240z/

Also, while looking, I managed to find mention of a third AWD Z, posted on this very forum. This one actually looks really impressive. Fourth post, by OlderThanMe.

• Like 1

I posted these exact links on another topic by a young guy wanting to do the GTR swap into his Z. Thought I was having some deja vu and only thought I posted them because I thought it was in this same topic for a second. Had to go back and check my own comments haha.