HybridZ

USB Chargers in your S30?

There are some great and cheap panel mount chargers. Biggest thing of all is make sure you get the 2.1 Amp output ones or your I-device will not be happy.....

post-2004-0-59814100-1502932191_thumb.jpeg

I put mine on the side of the console on the passenger side, up front quite far.

Edited by z240

There are some great and cheap panel mount chargers. Biggest thing of all is make sure you get the 2.1 Amp output ones or your I-device will not be happy.....

attachicon.gif5D2FF598-4C00-49B1-A801-4129509398D9-7187-00000568165390E0.jpeg

I put mine on the side of the console on the passenger side, up front quite far.

Good to know thanks. That's the style I'm looking at. For an extra few bucks you can get one with a built in volt meter, would come in handy.

s-l1600.jpg

personally I just have charge port that plugs into the cigarette lighter, idk if you don't have one or use it for something else but it work just fine for me.

That would just be too easy! I like the idea of having it built into the car. I'll barely use it so I just want to know it's there just in case and not be in a situation where I need one and forgot to bring the cig charger along for the ride.

I have one hard wired into the car. 

I did not think ahead and did it early on before higher amperage stuff was a thing. It will not charge my iPhone and will not charge a tablet when it is on. 

Other then that getting a 2.1A 12V charger is fairly easy. You can buy a cigarette lighter type deal and just dissect it if you wanted to save a bit or not deal with shipping. Make sure you fuse it. Unlikely anything will happen, but you never know with the cheaper charger setups.

post-37191-0-47978000-1502975226_thumb.jpg

I put one of these in another vehicle I had, I picked it up at a truck stop. The enclosure comes apart with screws so you can easily mount it to something, a bracket, the top of the glove box, Etc. On the first one I ever bought, the cigarette lighter plug on it broke. I hard-wired it in and it worked great.

I hardwired a 5v buck converter to a USB port designed for my daily driver.  It charged my stuff REALLY slow at first but I realized I had to short the Data pins together to get my devices to charge at a high rate.  If the two data connections aren't shorted together, your phone/tablet/etc thinks it is connected to a computer USB port and limits it's charging to 500mA.  

Not the cheapest route, but here is the exact converter I used.  https://www.adafruit.com/product/1385

You could use something like this to flushmount the port itself.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WWNZ18N?psc=1

Edited by Namor