HybridZ

Asbestos in 77 280z

Asbestos is still allowed ( In smaller percentages ) in Brake Pads, Brake shoes and Clutch discs. You can get Pads ( Ceramic, Carbon  ) and shoes ( Carbon ) that are asbestos free. Most brake shoes in North America  are going to have some asbestos. You have to buy a Premium style, such as Carbo Tech to get asbestos free. Get documentation from the manufacturer on if the Pad or Shoe contains any asbestos. 

You can buy new clutches that are  asbestos free,  such as Feramic and Puck style. Feramic ( South Bend ) is fine for the street. 

https://www.asbestos.net/exposure/products/automotive/clutches/

Check with Australian  customs to find out exactly what the regulations are. See if reduced amounts are allowable or if there is exemptions for Pads, shoes and clutches. There shouldn't be asbestos in any other part of the car. 

Only other thing I can think of that may contain asbestos is a Catalytic converter heat shield. I don't recall if that was an asbestos sandwich construction, but it should be easy to check. That can easily be remedied with a Stainless Steel shield if a Cat is still required by Australian laws. 

I have been working in asbestos remediation since the late nineties. Here in the Netherlands asbestos has been forbidden since 1993. It is illegal to sell, buy or stock any asbestos containing products. Most people have no idea how to recognize asbestos so a lot of products are still out there. Remember that asbestos is only dangerous if inhaled.

In my 1973 240Z the gaskets (engine and diff), brake pads and clutch disc contained asbestos. The easy way to check is to look for fibers on the edge of the material. If you see fibers you can hold a flame to it from a cigarette lighter. If the fibers glow but stay in tact it is probably asbestos. If the fiber burns or melts you can be pretty sure it is not asbestos.

This off course only works with visible fibers. On gasket material it should be pretty obvious but on brake pads fibers might not be visible.

When removing gaskets It is good practice to keep the gasket wet and only use a gasket scraper and not a rotating disc. Any high RPM device will bring the fibers into the air. Air tools are even worse since they move a lot of air.