HybridZ

OBX Differential for R200 Open Diff to LSD Conversion

Saxofonist

Maybe the question I should have asked is, Where do I purchase an OBX differential for an Open R200 Longnose?  I have looked all over the internet, but am a little skeptical that what I am seeing will work with a R200 Longnose.  If you have any tips for me, that would be much appreciated!  Thanks in advance!

Maybe the question I should have asked is, Where do I purchase an OBX differential for an Open R200 Longnose?  I have looked all over the internet, but am a little skeptical that what I am seeing will work with a R200 Longnose.  If you have any tips for me, that would be much appreciated!  Thanks in advance!

I think they're on Amazon? R200 "longnose" is standard R200, no? I think shortnose has different requirements, but the OBX for R200 should work for your diff I would think. (Disclaimer: Don't have an OBX, have an MFactory).

Posted Today, 06:08 AM

You buy them on EBay or Amazon, but they may be available elsewhere.

Fitment will be required. Depending on whether you're using a 10mm bolt ring gear, 12mm bolt ring gear, and axles will dictate how much additional fitment is required besides following FSM.

i recommend checking R&P wipe pattern and backlash BEFORE and after installing the carrier to check for differences.

If you want longevity, a rebuild of the OBX carrier will be required. Follow the documentation online regarding bolts, helical gear direction, and washer stacks. Parts are available from a vendor ( not from OBX)

I suggest you refresh your differential housing while you're at it (pinion bearings, carrier bearings, seals, lubricant)

Follow the FSM when installing the carrier or outsource it to an appropriate professional

I have a fully rebuilt R200 Longnose already in the car.  I have a race modified sbc350 and I am very worried about sending all that power to one half shaft.  I have been looking on ebay, and even messaged a seller who then told me it would NOT fit the longnose open R200.  I will keep looking, and I will take a look at the MPower and Quailfe diffs.

That can't be right or they're feeding you BS / CYA.  They all say it will fit an '84 to '89 300ZX which is a longnose. 

E.g. http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-ATB-Helical-LSD-Differential-For-91-98-240SX-Silvia-200SX-84-89-300ZX-Z31/232355813843?

They may have told you that because 10mm bolts, but that can be shimmed as I mentioned or as discussed in the install thread here 

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/88099-obx-differential-inspection-and-installation/