HybridZ

cranks, but no start/ignition (video)

7 minutes ago, NewZed said:

I would focus on the quality of the signal on the blue wire to Pin #1 at the ECU.

I have solved tachometer problems by adding a condenser to the negative terminal circuit.  The signal was noisy. and the condenser cleaned it up.  Hook up your noid light to the coil negative terminal and see if it behaves normally or shows some weirdness.

thanks for the tips, I'll give the tach a shot. and as you mentioned that, I did connect the noid light directly to the coil, and it flashes during cranking. 

Long shot for you. You mentioned it was out of a ZX? I had a ZX that had the same random symptoms and I traced it to the oil pressure sensor that was on the way out. The ZX added a fail safe to shut down the injectors in case of no oil pressure to save the engine. The stock oil pressure sensor fail fairy often. After checking ALL grounds after that I would try swapping the ignition sensor from the side of the dizzy and see what you get since you have access to a running match car. Good luck!

• 2 months later...

yes, was pulling in the driveway and it died, like I turned off the ignition with the key. Now it will crank but no accessory lighting, seat belt warning, or anything that is normally on with the key selected on.  

Strangely enough if I turn the key to start it will crank but it will not start, BUT if I turn the key slightly back toward off I get the accessory stuff, seat belt warning, etc.

I'm thinking its a ignition (key) switch.....?

If it'll ever warm up I'll dig in and troubleshoot. 

Do the basics with a meter.  Turn the key on and check for power at the coil and at the injectors.  Check for coil power when you turn the key to Start.  Check your fuses and fusible links and grounds.  Could be a simple loose connection or something like a bad ignition relay.  Once you know what's getting power when it should and what's not you'll have a clearer idea of what might be wrong.

turns out it was the relay, unmounted it and with it plugged up still and a ground added to the mount bracket I noticed it was intermittent. So I did a quick search and discovered they are not available anywhere. Figuring I had nothing to loose I straightened the tabs and removed the cover and found the ground strap was broken. 

IgRelay1.jpg

IgRelay2.jpg

IgRelay3.jpg

I tried adding a ground by drilling a small hole in between the relays and soldering the coil grounds to it but I think I had tired 40 year old relays in addition to the broken ground strap. 

I got to looking for solutions and found this along with information of people offering relay harness adapters for sale and links to the 6 pin non locking connector. The ready made ones were $75-80 delivered, the 6 pin connector was $3 and another $35 for the crimper  

relay-socket.jpg

I was getting ready to cut the OEM connector off and splice in a set of relays and decided to see if I could get the relay contacts to release from the OEM connector. A dental pick and some patience and I was able to get them to release and they are exactly the same size as the ones in the new relay sockets. So one at a time I removed and reinstalled the OEM wires and connectors into the new relays sockets, checked everything with my meter, added a terminal end to the black grounds and plugged in the relays.  Works, not expensive and with the exception of the relay sockets, no new connections to fail.

As an added bonus the holes line up with the originals so remounting was a breeze.   

IgRelay4.jpg

Edited by D9inger
added pictures

Thank You, I did discover the 1978 FSM schematic was incorrect too. It won't work like they drew it and the wiring in the car confirmed it. The giveaway was the top left pin on the drawing had 2 wires in it and nothing in the bottom left. There was one wire in each on my car. The one on the left is original, the one on the right is corrected. 

IgRelay5.jpg

I used standard Bosch relays, I bought a 10 pack off ebay. I had to do the headlight mod earlier and figured I'd need them. 

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/127971-led-headlight-bulbs-anyone-tried-them/?tab=comments#comment-1196144

Dave

Edited by D9inger

That area is where the water drains down if it gets through the windshield, and the car is angled a certain way.  The car has water marks under the passenger seat from the puddle that sat there for while.  

Only the Accessory relay didn't work though.  The PO had a jumper wire ran up to the ignition switch for that.

• 5 years later...

I assume that you mean the inline resistor on the line from the ignition coil to the tachometer.  I don't know what "POXY resistor" means.

It's in the wiring harness by the fuse panel under the glovebox.  You can see the lump under the tape.  It is rarely a problem.  Shouldn't affect starting.