HybridZ

What to do when shop has had car 9 months?

78zstyle

Hello,

i’m having an rb25det neo and a haltech put into my Datsun. The car has been at Wireworks performance (fort worth, tx) since january 4th.

Back in May i was told it would take a little longer because a tech screwed some work up and it had to be corrected. No big deal, i can wait a little.

i’ve been trying to get updates, and it’s hard to get a hold of the shop. Last time i tried to visit, they were closed during the week for some reason. Last i heard it was “very close to being done”... in August. Now it’s September and i can’t get a hold of him (doesnt answer calls or texts).

i’m planning on calling the police or speaking with a lawyer, which is not something i want to do, but i cant get a hold of him and he has my car. I have no clue what’s going on.

What do you all recommend i do? It’s safe to say this shop won’t get any more work from me, which is unfortunate as i heard great things about them. But they have 5,000 dollars of mine and my car. 

Edited by 78zstyle

i would certainly give a really good effort to make stops to the shop, or i like to call from a different number, even leave a msg stating you are someone else and you want work done. ive been there and it sucks. if all else fails, start with the lawyer. good luck, keep us posted

1 hour ago, G-Tech said:

i would certainly give a really good effort to make stops to the shop, or i like to call from a different number, even leave a msg stating you are someone else and you want work done. ive been there and it sucks. if all else fails, start with the lawyer. good luck, keep us posted

Yeah, going to consult a lawyer today. I spoke to the police and they tole me to call them and go up there with them. 

Sucks im going through all of this trouble.

good luck, maybe the threat of lawsuit will push him to get it done. its probably at a point now that he got paid so long ago that now it seems like free labor for him (bad on his part). i would insist in seeing it and if its not too far from beeing done i would just get it and finish it yourself, consider just a lil loss for the piece of mind that you have your car back

I was in the same boat as you once. It was a buddy's shop and he always gave me great deals on labor but he would fit me in when he could. Right after I bought my 73 I took it to him to figure some wiring issues out, the car ended up not running anymore while it was there and it didn't seem like he was working on it at all. So my new car was sitting at this shop for nearly a year collecting dust. I finally got tired of it and had him tow the car back to my house. Turned out to be a bad ignition coil resistor.

I know exactly what your feeling right now trust me! It's hard for a shop to work on someone elses project when they can turn and burn a bunch of easy oil changes or other misc through the day and make their money. I wouldn't bother with the cops or lawyer unless you really think the car is being stolen and have a bit of proof. My opinion is go to the shop in person, ask to see the car and whats going on with it, and explain to him it's taking too long and would like an actual date of when it can be finished otherwise you would like to have the car towed back to your house to complete it yourself.

There is nothing like fronting someone in person, if the place is closed then ask around nearby. If there are other businesses nearby they will have an idea on what's going on, give them a bit of a sob story to help with the info. But, I'll say it again for emphasis, grab a holt of this fellow and, first priority, get the car if there are any doubts as to his situation.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an idiot neighbor where a shop has his mustang going on 5 years now for just motor work. The shop keeps telling him this and that and that they need more money. And he's dumb enough to give it to them. 

I had a one bad experience with a jeep I was having painted. Took a year to finish and then a month later the paint started falling off. I was so disheartened I just sold it off. 

My cars are like my children. I'd stop by for sure and want a visual inspection and proof of work performed thus far.  When I get my Z painted I'm going to be very schedule driven, with little to no money down.  To me if a shop needs my money before they even begin to work on my car that is a red flag. 

On 9/29/2017 at 2:34 PM, BJSZED said:

To pay for materials, overhead etc. Standard business practice. 

I understand materials, but when I drop my car off at the dealer for service they don't ask for a dime. Understood they have much deeper pockets.