HybridZ
Sign in to follow this  
socorob

More Caster With Power Steering?

With a few new power steering kits out there, would dialing in more caster in the front be helpful? I just installed power steering and will put on short steering knuckles soon, so will need an alignment. I was going to use these specs from the alignment sticky:

Street

For 225 to 245 width radial DOT tires try these alignment settings:

Front

Camber: 1.25 to 1.5 neg

Caster: 4 to 5 positive (even on both sides)

Toe: 1/16" out or 0

Ride height: 6" to 6 1/2" measured at the front of the rocker outboard of the pinch weld seam.

Rear

Toe: 1/16" to 1/8" in

Ride height: 6 1/2" to 7" measured at the front of the rocker outboard of the pinch weld seam.

For tire widths over 245 try these alignment settings:

Front

Caster: 4 to 5 positive (even on both sides)

Toe: 1/16" out or 0

Ride height: 6 1/2" to 7" measured at the front of the rocker outboard of the pinch weld seam.

Rear

Toe: 1/16" to 1/8" in

Ride height: 7" to 7 1/2" measured at the front of the rocker outboard of the pinch weld seam.

Would more caster be a bad thing? And what about 0 or 1/16 toe in?  I have slight toe out, between that and bumpsteer, my car wanders on the street.

Toe Out is an old Autocrosser trick and yes it will lead to wandering on the street. Some tires will " Tramline" more than others. Toe Out can be wicked bad in the Rain. Fact is, Toe out is seldom needed in Autocross. It's a crutch to get the front end to turn in, when other solutions are available. I've Road Raced, Autocrossed and Hill-Climbed for many, many years. Mostly with Big HP RWD cars. Have NEVER needed to use Toe Out to get the front end to bite on Turn In or during any other phase of cornering.. And I like a nose that turns in very sharply.  

Most people run too much front spring and anti-roll bar in Autocross. And not enough rear brake. A good Autocross car should be wickedly unstable at Road Racing and Hillclimbs. Totally different setups.

Only exception is FWD cars... they may need Toe Out in Autocross. But those are horrible things any way!! LOL.