HybridZ
D-Hemi

Is this 1972 240z worth starting to do a rebuild

Ive welded in the past i dont own the equipment but i have access.  I just want to know if it is saveable i thought the front frame under the fender on driver side was pretty bad.  I know all the other areas there are panels available. The guy has floor panels and hatch sill plate

Everything is saveable. It just comes down to how much money you want to spend on saving it.

See if you can find a Z in better condition, and find out how much they want for that one.

Now subtract 1000 dollars from the price tag of that one and start looking up if you can fix those rust issues for the difference in price.

It's a rational way to find an irrational solution.

Whether or not it's savable depends on your skill level and/or how much money you have. However, I think this is one of those things where if you have to ask the answer is no. You're going to need to be able to make your own panels to fix this one.

On 9/28/2017 at 5:24 PM, grannyknot said:

That car is very salvageable and a steal at $1000, even if you don't do the work yourself, buy it.  There is nothing in your photos that isn't fixable, if you have welded before you'll be fine.

Agreed especially in the east coast, early 240z prices are high! Only thing thats concerning is if the metal is that bad I wonder whats beneath those quarter flares?

I wish I had saved up and purchased a cleaner car the start with. I think I would have been WAY ahead, both time and money. Just something to consider. 

That will require some in depth fab work, both structurally sound and precise (enough) to keep the car straight. I wouldn't let that discourage you, but you should be honest about the amount of work, materials and tools required. 

Hey guys let me give you a update on this car.  So i went to see the vehicle in person and the owner wasnt there to talk to so i took the pictures you see and i talked to the wife and she gave me the history and story of the car.  I got a hold of the owner and he instantly offered the car for $500 and i was ready to buy it right there so i asked him what are all the parts i expect to get with the deal because a lot of parts were missing and i didnt see them in the garage  but i did see patch panels like all floor board and rear hatch repair panels so i wanted to make sure i was getting those and the interior.  So the guy gets back to me and tells me i dont get the hood and the front windshield which is on the car as i saw it.  so i asked for those parts to be included and he let me know he could include the windshield but i would have to pay $1000.  He started to rub me the wrong way so i walked from the deal.  

Just wait a week. If he doesn't call you back call or text him that your offer of $500 stands for Everything with windshield and hood. 

I take it this car isn't advertised anywhere for sale? That's to your advantage if so. 

I look at it if can I buy it and make my money or more back with the purchase, I buy it regardless if I plan on keeping it or not.  Pisses the wife off but it's an investment in my eyes. 

You do get the rest of the parts regardless of hood and windshield though right?  If not then I'd likely walk away too. A lot is missing from the pics. 

Edited by JSM