HybridZ
Sign in to follow this  
Skunkworks

My recent barn find/ new member intro

Hello All,

My name is Jon, I am an auto-body estimator, with a few years experience as a mechanic, and I just purchased my first Datsun. It's a 1971 240Z that I found through a friend of a friend. It has been sitting in a barn (that's about to fall over) since 1993. The car is pretty dirty, but the body is in surprisingly good shape. The quarters and floors are solid, with just a bit of rust in the rear rocker/dogleg area. I purchased it for $600 as a project and plan to spend the next few years restoring/modifying it. I have been a Honda guy for a long time and have owned and modified many Accords and Preludes with one Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 thrown in there, but I have always been drawn to the looks and performance of the early Z-cars. I am excited to have a rear drive car for the first time, no more torque steer and wheel hop! I can see there is an over-abundance of knowledge on this forum, and am excited to participate in the discussions (instead of just lurking). Thanks!

IMG_20170923_162152.jpg

IMG_20170923_162158.jpg

IMG_20170923_162208.jpg

IMG_20170923_162220.jpg

IMG_20170923_162234.jpg

Obviously fix up the body and a full paint job, and add some of the JDM touches (fender mirrors, fairlady badges, maybe jdm tail lights) rear spoiler, and flares. I was reading through the suspension faq on here earlier, and will probably upgrade things to a stage 2 or 3 range. As far as drive train goes, I would love to 2JZ swap it, but I could probably get a domestic V8 cheaper with more options for tuners around where I live. I had considered trying something different, like a Honda K24 with a turbo, but I am not sure that I am the right person to tackle an engine swap that no one has done. No plans to race it, maybe a trip to the local 1/8 mile once in a while. I just want a sweet looking, fun sports car that can give my Father-in-law's Boxster S a run for his money. 

It took a few hours, but we got the car pulled out of the barn last night before it got completely dark. We had to fight with one rear wheel that would not roll, probably seized e-brake, and the steering wheel locked with the front wheels slightly turned. Not totally sure where the keys are, the previous owner hasn't been able to locate them yet. I will probably take a lock cylinder from one of the doors and get a few keys cut. You can see in the second picture just how much the barn was leaning, it was kind of scary pulling it out! Really surprised it hadn't fallen down yet.

IMG_20171004_182945.jpg

IMG_20171004_183035.jpg

IMG_20171004_183937.jpg

IMG_20171004_184612.jpg

IMG_20171004_201757.jpg