HybridZ

Finally sprayed my Z

331CI 280z

Hi guys.   I finally finished up the body work and sprayed my Z.   It has been a long long process.   The color is House of Kolor KBC11 candy red.    It came out good.   There is soo much reassembly to do after I finish color sanding and buffing.   Here is a few pics.  

20170929_184934.jpg

20170927_193014.jpg

20170927_185934.jpg

20170901_191951.jpg

Edited by 331CI 280z

On 10/13/2017 at 12:53 PM, 331CI 280z said:

It was alot of work and alot of $$$$.   It all depends on how nice you want it. 

Yeah, the more I look into it, the more convinced I am probably money ahead to hire a professional. After the cost of good materials and the labor, it would be a real drag to mess it up with my lack of painting skills/experience. I have never painted a car before. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just following up on this.   I used fabric wheel covers when spraying.   Nothing really on the wheels but the tires did get some overspray.  The stuff on the wheels just wipes off with a wet rag.  The tires are old anyways so it really doesn't matter in my case.

I am still reassembling everything but the project has been on hold for months due to cold weather.    I have another car in the garage with it and there is no room to work on anything with both cars in the garage.   

I also started putting on a Holley Sniper fuel injection system and the fuel line routing to my fuel cell is proving to be a challenge.    

20171105_150056.jpg

20171122_193544.jpg

Looks great!!! Great choice in color. How did you come to choose orange for a base coat? Was the kandy base coat difficult to work with, did you notice it gets darker the more coats you put down like a true kandy? I'm doing a similar color with the same kandy base coat line. Would appreciate anything you learned about using it. Looks like you did real good

I used the HOK kd red primer as a sealer for the base.    I used that instead of their silver sealer tinted.    I painted the jambs first and separate from the rest of the car.    They are a slightly different shade of red.   I think it had to do with the humidity when I sprayed the body.   It was extremely humid and the car was taking much longer to flash between coats.   I found that I used way more base than anticipated for coverage so make sure that you have extra from the same lot number in case you run into the same coverage issue.  The HOK stuff is very nice quality and this is my 1st base/clear job.  I started to get tiger striping on the hood and had to spray at 90 degrees from prior passes in order to eliminate it.   Overall, a very in depth expensive learning process.   

• 2 weeks later...