HybridZ

Sanderson headers hitting steering shaft

Has anyone had a fitment problem with Sanderson headers installed on an LS2 hitting the steering shaft? I bought the headers from Zcardepot, I assume they are the same headers sold at JTR. The headers need to move 3/8" towards the engine to clear the steering shaft. I will post a picture tomorrow.

The car is a 1971 240Z, the LS2 is installed with Hoke performance mounts.

Pete

Edited by mrk3cobra

The Johns Cars kit was designed to work with those specific Sanderson headers. Hoke's wasn't. Z Car Depot just says that the headers fit LS engines, which they do. Unfortunately, not all of the engine mount kits are designed to work with those headers. I know for a fact that the CX Racing LS motor mount kit also won't work with the Sanderson headers.

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ

I believe the CX racing headers work with Hokes kit....... It's been awhile since I communicated with Austin hoke but I recall the CX and hawkes both work with his mounts... Not 100% on that.  I'm getting to dang old to remember this stuff lol. I also believe that info is in the "facts not opinion" LS swap thread.  Jim 

I made some adjustments, and now the steering just touches the header. I will just put a small dent in the pipe to clear the steering. The other problem I see with theses headers is the header pipe at the spark plug at #5 is to close. There is only 1/4" between the header and the spark plug. You cannot even get the sparkplug socket on the spark plug. You would have to remove the headers to change the plug. And the 90 degree LS2 spark plug wire does not have enough room to plug in.

I did not use the CX racing or Hawks headers because I would like more ground clearance. When I get these headers to work I will have plenty of ground clearance.

Pete

20171018_180709.jpg

20171018_180729.jpg

I raised the engine 3/16" and made a small dent in the header to give 1/4" clearance at the steering shaft. I also dented the header at the #5 spark plug and installed 135 degree ceramic spark plug wires that are good to 2000 degrees. I was told by Zcardepot that with the Sanderson headers you will need to change the #5 wire every 1000-5000 miles without modifying the headers. I now have clearance so I do not see any issues with the boot.

• 2 weeks later...