HybridZ

KA Mounting Question

280KA

Hi I'm currently researching swapping a KA24DE along with the KA 5 speed trans into my 280z and have questions regarding mounting. I plan on running this setup due to a turbo build planned. I've read the trans is able to be mounted via the stock mounts but I've also seen that its not possible and would like an answer to the debate. Im also planning on using McKinney motor mounts and was curious if anybody has any experience with them and what they think of them?

Also, I've heard I may need a custom driveshaft and was wondering if that was true or not. I've read on a forum previous that I won't need to but I'd like to know if I need a custom one before I do the swap.

Edited by 280KA

When i did my Sr20det swap on my Z, ( sr20det and kA24de bolt up exactly the same) I had to make a trans mount that bolted up to the trans tunnel, since the 280z trans mount location is different with the KA/SR trans, also you will need a custom driveshaft, since it actually needs to be shortened and fitted to the KA/SR splined shaft. 

48 minutes ago, 280zjoel said:

When i did my Sr20det swap on my Z, ( sr20det and kA24de bolt up exactly the same) I had to make a trans mount that bolted up to the trans tunnel, since the 280z trans mount location is different with the KA/SR trans, also you will need a custom driveshaft, since it actually needs to be shortened and fitted to the KA/SR splined shaft. 

Thats what I was thinking I'd have to do, seemed too good to be true to use stock mounts lol. Did you fab your own motor mounts as well then?

7 hours ago, 280zjoel said:

I actually bought the Vildini Motorsports weld in engine cradle, the trans mount i fabricated myself, driveshaft was cut, welded and balanced by a driveshaft shop. Actually most of my parts will be up for sale soon since im going LS power on my Z

I've heard good things about that cradle but I can't seem to find it anywhere? Did Vildini close down? And give me a heads up when you do because I'd be interested in maybe purchasing?

• 2 weeks later...