HybridZ

280zx sbc 406 wiring needing sorted

Let me first start with I did a couple searches and I'm sorry if i missed the appropriate already gone through post..I have the jtr v8 conversion kit in my 82 zx...I bought from a guy who had a 350 in it and I'm in the process of building a 92mm turbo 220cc aluminum headed 406 bowtie to put in..ok so what I have is a bunch of wires coming out of the firewall on the drivers side that I'm needing to find which are tach signal, switched key wire, and main power to interior or lights and accessories...im not looking forward to hooking up a wire going into car seeing if wire works labeling if it works, stop repeat . I know I'll be doing this with any advice I'll receive from you already but with any help could really shorten my length of time I can do this without having a friend dedicating too much time out of his day connecting wire wires..checking off multiple wires on if they are of use or not....I will take pictures if needed after work tomorrow so you guys have an idea of exactly what I'm working with...most of the harness is is intact coming from outside of firewall on drivers side.. Thanks guys I hope this wasn't too aggravating of a post.

i will look in my book later tonight to see what i can find for you. you will want to invest in a good mechanic book off ebay for your car. not just a haynes book but there is one that is much more detailed. ill post a pic of the book too. your going to want it. alot of the wiring goes to sensors for brake fluid, washer fluid etc. ill get back to you

i would use that link zhoob2004 posted. it works great. i looked threw my book last night and was hard to find clear simple answers for you. i did remember looking threw it that the driverside harness was mostly fuel injection stuff and the pass side was the main power supply wires, and headlight harness. 

most of what u have on the driver side is EFI and sensors for brake fluid, washer fluid etc. to the left of the brake booster there is a hole were the original throttle cable came out and now there is what looks like 3 or 4 wires coming out(with no grommet <_<). those wires are added in so they might be useful for the v8 motor. and on the pass side were the battery is supposed to be there is a box laying over on its side with wires coming in and out, those are your fusible links and those wires should be important. and on pass side front by the coolant reservoir, one of the boxes is for  the headlight and the other box has relays for some things you may need. i know i saw in the wiring diagram exactly what those boxes are but i forgot what it said already. you gotta mess on your hands, dont be in a hurry. one section at a time. start somewhere and check things off as you go. it can be done, but wont be quickgallery_24014_1726_239082.jpg 

When I had the sbc in I just had eibach 1in drop springs for the front. With the weight of the motor it was a 2in drop which I was happy with. I had steel heads also....now I have techno toys shortened coilovers which I'm very happy with and 250lb springs. I have a LS motor in now and the front rides a Lil stiff.if you do coilover's I think you'll be good with 250lb springs also. You could do groundcontrol coilover setup would be the cheapest and easiest. You just can't go more than 2in drop with s130 strut tubes. The rear needs to be stiff too, cause it's gonna squat hard

I've been mulling over an ls....since all i would need is adaptor plates...so question...I'm assuming you used adaptor plates to set is in old chevy v8 z mounts...does the ls fit just fine in the bay using adaptor plate...as in did you pull your 350 out put adaptor plate on ls and sit right down onto old school chevy motor conversion mounts...I have the jtr conversion atm

o no, its not just a set of adapter plates and insert LS motor. when i switched it was like starting from scratch again. swap plates dont put the motor in a good place, you basically make your own mounts. then the oil pan has mods to do, headers are more of a problem, and fuel system has to be changed (and more lil things after that. it all depends if your trying to just get your car together and go tear up the streets or if you are ok doing a completely new project. there is some info in the gen lll&iv section that i started called 280zx's with LS . ground control sells coilover kit for the front of a 280zx (also techno toys does). it uses your original strut tube and shocks. you just have to cut off the old spring perch and weld a new one on.

2012%20Outdoor%20Show%20TA%20054[1].jpg