HybridZ

r230 swap questions

lewydeeayy

Looking to talk to someone who has actually done the r230 swap on a 240z. I can only find bits and pieces of info and no REAL answers

I saw a twisted up TTT r230 diff mount once, is that common? should i reinforce mine?

i saw a video of a guy installing his r230 and he had to trim what looked like part of his rear subframe so the diff could fit, is this true? or was he doing something wrong.

what did you do for axles?

Thanks for any answers.

I’ve done the TTT R230 swap, though my car isn’t running yet. Yes, I had to trim and box the rear crossmember. Wish they mentioned that on the website, the original design did not require the trim. Tyler said they changed the design for a better driveline angle.

The rear mustache bar had to be spaced back, as it didn’t clear the rear cover on the diff.

I was unable to get a rear sway bar to fit. I tried 2 types, the MSA and the ST. The MSA didn't fit because of the Bad Dog rear frame rails, and the ST wouldn't clear the dogbone.

I’ve seen the same picture of the twisted front mount. Don’t know what caused it but it is the only failure I’ve heard of.  The TTT piece does look kinda weak

Edited by JoeK

I used a TTT kit to mount an R230 in my '71 240Z and, because I made my own rear control arms using heim joints on the inner pivots, I was able to lower the inner portion of the rear arm by about 1/8" so it cleared the axle shaft. I also had to mount the top of the R230 diff only about .030" below the rear crossmember to make everything work. I ordered my aluminum mustache bar without the two diff mount holes so I could drill them myself. It's worked fine for several years. I have another '71 Z that I plan on doing the same thing to. See the attached picture. I put 1/8" thick washers under the tabs that mount the rear inner arm to lower it. 1/8" is too small an amount to cause any negative effects on suspension issues. I've had zero issues.

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ

Z03.JPG

Edited by Mike Mileski

Op, there's a company in Canada Whitehead Performance that sells parts for the r230 swap. Just yesterday I got their shortened axle shafts from Moser, their 39 spline stub axles and companion flanges. When ordering these parts from them be ready to wait a while. The drop mounts, moustache bar, front diff mount and sway bar were from TTT and they look great, almost a shame to mount em behind the fuel tank. My only problem now is finding the q45 or 300zxtt cv axles to finish building the cvs for the z aside remans from oreillys. Good luck if you decide to do the swap, like anything modding datsuns it's gonna cost $$$$

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• 1 month later...