HybridZ

engine choice

ErikT

I know this has probably been answered, but I can't seem to find any real numbers.  I have a 1973 240z I am restoring.  I have the numbers matching L24 and E88 head.  I have a stage 2 cam, ported and polished, and L28 valves in the E88 head.  I am going to put Z therapy SUs on it that I already have.  I would like to put triples on in the future some time if I need to.  I also have an F54 non turbo engine I can use.  Both I have to rebuild and will cost the same amount of money.  What kind of horse power increase would I get with the F54?  I have a type 2 280zx 5 speed transmission and rear end.  And what kind of pistons would you guys recommend buying?  I found a local supplier with old stock ACT Japanese pistons, but I haven't found any information on them.  Thanks for your help!  

Erik 

Oklahoma 

1973 240z

Not sure I follow, are you asking if you should use the F54 or the 2.4L block for your build? I would guess the F54 block?

I think the cam is the bottleneck here, that stage 2 looks very mild. 

Compare with this thread:

There is a few people there with cams similar to Schnieder stage3 cams and they seem to make about 170hp to the wheels. So maybe ~150hp is reasonable with stage2 if everything else is tiptop?

I would get a much bigger cam...

Downside with a big cam isthat you might have to do modifications to the valve train, new springs, lash pads and so on. Your stage2 might be a "bolt in". 

Something like Isky L-480 maybe? Not sure if it works with your carbs ( I am EFI). I would call Isky or Rebello and ask.

Sites to google:

Schneider Cams

Isky cam shafs

Rebello Racing

Colt Cams

It's a jungle...