HybridZ

L28 head 3D scan, flow, CNC

datsunmike

I have access to a high precision 3D scanner...

I've been thinking of trying to scan the L28 head, including the ports and the combustion chambers. The goal being to make some flow simulations and maybe even develop come kind of cnc program for porting the heads. Maybe even the block at a later date too.

Heres my questions for you guys:

1-Is this even worth it ? (I enjoy the challenge but maybe it has already been done)

2- Is there someone with flow simulations experiences in solidworks or any other CAD program. I can manage with inventor for basic stuff but flow simulations would be out of my range.

3- My head is on my car, anyone with a cracked head that could still render a good scan they would want to get rid of. Or someone in Canada (east) who would borrow one. PM if possible.

Let's see what you guys think!

Having done a fair amount of this work  in the long run you may be better off getting your data from a touch probe in a mill or a digitizing arm. Getting a proper scan can be really challenging. When I did the Honda head I split the port along the casting part line then created a two piece mold with spacers to make up for the band saw blade kerf. I then made a resin plug and scanned it. Since I wanted something I could develop I ended up pulling curves from the mesh and used them to create my ports.  

Derek

I will definately take this into consideration. My goal was to scan the whole head using the scanner and making some resin plugs for the ports and merge the two somehow. I've got nowhere near your skills your dohc head is beyond impressive. In more trying to hone my skills while having fun. Accuracy will be around 50um.

For any kind of machining I would definately use the Faro arm.

I'm gonna post on the wtb all I need is some old head. I'll be checking eBay too...

Edited by datsunmike

I would use the faro for sure. Develop guide curves and cross sections from the points. Use those to develop poly surfaces then convert to mesh. If you are trying to improve the flow with CNC machining then the wall thickness data is as important as the actual port shape. 

• 3 weeks later...

So i have been around the performance industry alot when I was in college specifically 2v v8 stuff and worked in a shop that specialized in very fancy heads and still screw around with stuff for my interests.  Digitizing, CFD, and CNC are the very last steps in cylinder head development.  In my opinion only really relevant to someone interested in production of dozens of heads for repeatabilities sake.  If you want to jump in this rabbit hole then research, the flow bench, and a die grinder is where to start.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/28/2017 at 9:45 PM, Dusty said:

So i have been around the performance industry alot when I was in college specifically 2v v8 stuff and worked in a shop that specialized in very fancy heads and still screw around with stuff for my interests.  Digitizing, CFD, and CNC are the very last steps in cylinder head development.  In my opinion only really relevant to someone interested in production of dozens of heads for repeatabilities sake.  If you want to jump in this rabbit hole then research, the flow bench, and a die grinder is where to start.

Thanks for your wisdom. I don't have any expectation of results over this, nor is this a project which I plan to apply to my car in any kind of near future.

It's basically ''because I can'' kind of project. Also one which I hope will help me practice my skills. At the worst i'll have a neat scan of the head. 

I've obtained a N42. Trying to get it done before xmass. I'll post.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Dusty said:

I think you should scan the block. A new block with a decent price tag would be a winner for some folks, aluminum even better.

Decent price is the sticking point. Even if you are starting with a raw casting the amount of machining is still pretty significant. 

A Mazworx 2JZ billet block is $9000.00 FYI.