HybridZ

Drive shaft shop CV conversion doesn't fit!

trackzpeed

Frustration aside, I think that last couple posts were very informative trackszspeed. In the beginning of the thread there seemed to be a lot of anger and name calling, warranted for sure given the product description and your experience, but kind of made it hard to determine exactly what the problem was.

Playing devil's advocate, clearing up the problem and using the correct term does help visualize the problem. Bind would make me think that the diameter or something grew, binding the axle, finding out it was spaced incorrectly lets me know that there was a problem in spacing, meaning the clamping force prevented the axle from spinning. I remember getting called out for using pipe instead of tube, to a layman something inconsequential, but when talking about suspension and load making sure the clarification is there is of real importance.

An LPT that was pointed out to me was to be modest with using years of experience as proof. Usually a question is raised when something seems incorrect, not because of a doubt of experience. A good analysis will withstand scrutiny regardless of the age or experience of the analyzer. Anecdotally it reminds me of the police officer who state based off 11 years of training on narcotics that the material found in the car was definitely a narcotic and sent a man to jail, only to find out it was the glaze off of a donut. Absolutely destroys all credibility of how those years were spent. Based off of an analysis of the material we found that the composition is mostly sucrose and water is a perfectly sound statement. No need for experience to weigh in.

I digress, there was some concern with how DSS axles were listed in the beginning I recall. Seemed almost too good and too fast and too vague to be true. Unfortunate as it is, I am thankful that you took the plunge here, and hopefully they will be another option on the market for us. 

Regarding similar adapters, on the 510 forums there are a couple spread sheets of how to assemble axles using adequate material as Eric suggests. The adapters are also available from a user that has something to do with Mountain Dew for a very affordable fee. 

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=10917

Edited by seattlejester

Here is an OE bus joint. notice that it is heat treated. http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=en0wyf45idbrq145embfxj45&makeid=800026@VW&modelid=1285826@BUS, CAMP, TRANSPORT &year=1971&cid=17@Drivetrain Parts&gid=2292@CV Joint                                                                                                                                                                                                 And here is an OE Porsche 930 (911 turbo) joint. Also, heat treated.http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=en0wyf45idbrq145embfxj45&makeid=800019@Porsche&modelid=1262629@911 TURBO&year=1981&cid=17@Drivetrain Parts&gid=2292@CV Joint                                                               Also notice how much thicker the outer body of the 930 is than the bus. The Bus can take 17 degrees of constant angle, and 19 intermittently. The 930 joint can take 19 degrees constant, and 21 intermittently. That is why they are preferred by the off road guys.  

Well it finally all fits!  Car is back together and waiting for a performance alignment with new TTT LCA's.  It took DSS 4 attempts to get the stub axles machined to OEM spec but they finally got it done. Personally, I would use checkered flag racing if I did it again, but I will give Lee at DSS a lot of credit for contuniually working to find a fix.   Hopefully DSS will now have the proper specs for future buyers to avoid all the hassles I went through.  I owe the HBZ community an apology for using the forum to vent my frustrations..... I was never looking for technical "help", because the only fix had to come from DSS.  Just more of a buyer beware that was a little more colorful than intended.  Anyway, I appreciate all the input, and I hope others can avoid this expensive frustration in the future.   Jim 

Ditto.  Sure this has been an unbelievably frustrating experience for you; but super glad to hear it finally worked out!!  I know I've learned a lot just from this thread.

Edited by jhm