HybridZ

WHICH SWAP?

KrisV

I've been trolling this site since purchasing my 1970 Z 5 years ago, and this is going to sound like a total newbie post. I swear it's not, I'm just torn on which direction to go.

The Z is currently getting a roll cage. It's due for completion in Jan/Feb, and I've been collecting parts. I have the rear diff from a 1990 300zx NA, and from a 1992 300zx TT. I also purchased 2 donor cars - a 1988 Mustang GT and a 2000 Trans Am. Before pulling the trigger on the rear diff conversion kit, I find my self going back and forth on which powertrain to use. Truthfully, I haven't ruled out building another hybrid z after this one is completed. For Road racing purposes, I'm just torn on which to go with. The 302 is already pretty well setup with the basic bolt ons (GT40 heads, comp cam, larger throttle body, etc) and I'm guessing the output for each will be comparable. The main purpose is to drive at SCCA events on various road coarses, so I'm hoping for some comparative feedback.

Thanks for reading!

The 5.0 project will definitely be cheaper since the donor car is manual and the TA is automatic - so I'd have to buy a t-56 magnum. I'm aiming for 400 whp, so I know both can make it happen. I'm just wondering what pros/cons some of the experienced track racers may have to suggest.