HybridZ

Gas Monkey 280z at SEMA

northwoodz

I searched around and didn't see any mention of it yet (on hybridz), 

Although I am not a fan of Richard Rawlings and his show since Aaron left, I really like this car ever since I saw it on social media. I was like awwww when I saw the A$$ monkey plate. Still, the exact direction I was going with my 2+2, and now I feel like i have to switch things up to be accused of copying this celebrity Z. Little run-of-the-mill, but very sharp and tasteful. And its good to see the 2+2 body style getting some more attention! 

gas-monkey-garage-big-mike-datsun-240z-d

More pics & info here: http://www.speedhunters.com/2017/11/gas-monkey-garage-goes-jdm/2017-sema-gas-monkey-garage-datsun-280z-speedhunters-by-paddy-mcgrath-5/

-Joel

Edited by northwoodz

Odd that a person would install a short-nose diff but with different internals.  Why not put better guts in the long-nose R200 it came with?  And I thought that AZC had pulled their short-nose diff setup for reworking, because it's hard to get the short-nose mounted firmly.  Looks like a nice collection of parts though.

"From the output shaft, the driveshaft spins up a Q45 R200 differential with a Tomei 1.5-way limited slip differential. "

Here's a link to the info part - http://www.speedhunters.com/2017/11/gas-monkey-garage-goes-jdm/

Nice collection of parts, exactly. I'm sure it doesn't have 1 mile on it since the build, but somebody will buy it from Barrett Jackson or off their EBay and give it a loving (albeit rich) home. 

I'm sure his mechanics googled something along the lines of "how to build a Datsun with unlimited budget" and came up with a plan in less than a day including every part from AZC and the Q45 diff swap. It's not like one of those builds like many of our own cars that we've derived from experience with z cars and years of planning to fit our budget. 

Did you see the fast N' loud episode where they explain that the numerical gear ratio (ex. 3.54) refers to the actual SIZE of the ring gear?!?! I almost died. 

And thanks I just realized the link I put up is just to a bunch of pics, no info. 

There's nothing wrong with this S30. It's got damn every part that we all like to put on our cars that is currently offered by vendors out there right now.

...But there's nothing overly special about it either, other than it's well done. 

We have members on this forum that have more unique and interesting cars that were made on a much smaller budget in a 2 car garage than this thing.

• Like 1

I agree neverdone completely. It is everything we all would like and very well done. I wasn't trying to bash the car at all.

I do find RR and GMG irritating, though, just my opinion. Would love to have the $$ however.

It  also just happens to be a green 2+2 with zg flares, black bumper, and bronze wheels rwl tires (was my plan) lol 

2 hours ago, NewZed said:

Somebody on this forum has a pretty nice 2+2.  Maybe Careless?  Can't tell.  The new site software seems to have destroyed all information about members.

http://forums.hybridz.org/profile/1767-careless/?tab=activity

@Careless

Challenger has a dark gray 2+2, and Toni L has a wicked 2+2 in white. Careless never had a 2+2.