HybridZ

280Z flat rear floor, aftermarket fuel cell ideas?

Hi gang,

i just got a 76 280Z. The guy who began the restoration cut out the rear floor since there was rust in the space tire area. He was going to put an aftermarket fuel cell and go to a flat floor. Any body heard of this being done? If so where should I look? I want to finish the work on the body before I start the V8 conversion. Tried to search but came up short. All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks! 

6 minutes ago, ritrebor said:

This is what I did to my Z

ritrebor

SAM_0231.JPG

Looks awesome! 

Couple of questions

1) is there any way to route the fuel lines under the car so the interior has a clean look when finished?

2) where did you get the unit from?

3) is the unit a drop in from inside the car? And if so how do you keep it tight and secure so it isn’t moving around? 

Thanks again! 

I cut out the spare tire well in my car and put a removable cover.  I did this to facilitate the installation of a new universal gas tank.  It is going to take some fabrication to finish what the previous owner started.  Post up some pictures of your current situation and what you desired outcome / usage will be and then people can make recommendations.  

I welded a metal box that the tank fits in after cutting out the spare tire well.

My hoses exits the bottom rear of the tank under the car.

I built a false floor over the tank and added a flip up cap to add gas so everything is hidden.

ritrebor

PICT0062 (2).JPG

Edited by ritrebor

On 2017-11-16 at 10:33 AM, ritrebor said:

I welded a metal box that the tank fits in after cutting out the spare tire well.

My hoses exits the bottom rear of the tank under the car.

I built a false floor over the tank and added a flip up cap to add gas so everything is hidden.

ritrebor

PICT0062 (2).JPG

Thank you all so much for the advice. I’m glad you posted this pic cuz I don’t want to have th fuel cell that low. 

Here is my current situation, it’s a blank canvas lol. The body kit isn’t mounted it was just hanging on there. I’ll post more pictures once I organize the garage! 

EEE29777-FB47-4AD3-B825-ADE62A66455F.jpeg

733EED15-8EB6-4622-903D-4BBEB4050DA5.jpeg