HybridZ

OBX Locking diff - poor fit with output shaft spline

brown280z

I installed an OBX locker in my R200 a few years ago and never really liked the spline engagement to the output shaft stubs.  The shafts don’t appear to be worn (fit great in the OE carrier) but they have a fair amount of slop with the OBX unit (both rotation and side play).  I was thinking this may be a good time to ditch the OBX but I have actually been pretty happy with the performance other than the clunky sounds when not loading the diff.  How much slop are others seeing with their OBX?  How bad of an idea would it be to use some Loctite 660 to fill the gap?

Mike

’77 280Z - LS1/T56

I am still debating how to handle this one.  I attempted to contact OBX but have yet to receive a reply. In regards to my inner stubs, they fit great in the open carrier (no slop) but maybe they are worn.  The 29 spline shaft has a outer diameter of 1.177”.  Does anyone know what they should be?

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks jthom5147!  It looks like your measurements are very close to mine (+/-.003”).  Assuming our splines are normal, that would mean my OBX spline is to blame ...  I’ll try to contact OBX again but I am doubting I’ll get a response.  Any ideas to fix?