HybridZ

2JZ GTE VVTI 280Z swap/build questions

Casper0878

I plan on swapping a 2JZ GTE VVTI into my 1978 Datsun 280Z. My goal is to hit 500hp, nothing crazy and plenty of power for that car. I was thinking of using a Garrett GTX3071R 2nd gen or a GTX3076R 2nd gen. For my power goals these are plenty and spool up really quick. A video I saw on YouTube showed a 2JZ swapped 240sx hitting 509hp on 20PSI with 264 cams and pump gas and full boost at 3300rpm. Since I plan on using a CD009 out of a 350Z and the differential from a Q45 which is 3.54, my gears aren't going to be super tall so I would rather have something more responsive. 

Regarding the ECU, I was thinking of going with the ECUMasters EMU Black. Mainly because of their PMU-16 which would replace relays and fuses:

http://www.wiringspecialties.com/ecu-master-pmu16-power-management-unit/

My other option was to go with a switch board from Speedwire Systems:

http://speedwiresystems.com/listings.../turbo-systems

Not really sure which is best.

As far as injectors go, I heard that FID are widely used in the Supra community but I was also recommended Deatschwerks ID1000. Someone also recommended Evolved Injection but I was later told to stay away as they are a 2 piece injector. Looking for feedback here regarding their pros/cons. Also debating between 850cc or 1000cc.

I also read that on a VVTI a DBW throttle body acts as IACV (idle air control valve). I need confirmation on this. Driftmotion sells a Universal Remote Mount Idle Speed Control.

Then there is the question of coils. I was planning on going with IGN1A coils:

https://induction-performance.myshopify.com/collections/supra-electronics/products/induction-performance-ign1a-coil-kit?variant=30079419329

But was recommended LQ9 coils which I heard some people have issues with at high HP, so they should be fine for me since I plan on keeping it in the 500hp range.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you very much for taking the time to read this.

Edited by Casper0878

I've been down your exact path for the most part so I'll share my findings.

1. Turbo choices are abundant and you're on the right path. Personally if you're after a response monster, EFR7670 will be all the turbo you'll need, you could even go 7163 and hit 500whp. The costs are even between them and the GTX mostly due to internal gates on the EFR making manifolds cheaper (Suprastore) and you don't have to buy an EWG. 

2. Your transmission and rear end choice match very closely to the 350Z so no worries there. Clutch options are cheap too.

3. ECU choices are usually no longer limited to the engine but what your local tuners are proficient with, unless you're tunning it yourself. Also I wouldn't over think the body wiring too much, the cars are simple electrically and a painless/ez wire kit can take care of everything.

4. Go with stainless steel internal (E85 compatible) Bosch EV-14 type injectors, tons of companies offering them. I have donkey power (yes really) 1300cc injectors. DW are fine and have come a long way, I'd buy them if I was in the market.

5. This kinda ties into the ECU deal as well, but yes DBW eliminates the need for an IACV. The trick is getting the pedal and throttle to work with the ECU. Drift motion has this down pretty well if you go with an AEM infinity. Not sure on ECU Master's.

6. I'm using IGN1A's, they're awesome. There's a Facebook based company that makes a bracket for mounting them that comes with hardware. The induction performance one doesn't but McMaster Carr solves that problem.

ozmZdP5.jpg

56 minutes ago, Nelsonian said:

Geno750,

Just to get this straight, you are using the IGN1A kit from Induction Performance correct? If so are you using their coil kit harness as well? Coils will need to be addressed eventually on my build and your feedback is valued by me. 

Nope, I just bought the bracket. When you buy the AEM coils they come with plug kits. I'm building my own harnesses so this was better for my situation. The plug wires are from a MSD universal kit.

Thanks Geno. Though not in a dire need at the moment for this part of the build was just looking into Wiring Specialties LQ9 kit and had book marked the Induction Performance IGN 1A kit and harness, but at $719 a kit and $599 for their harness was hoping for other options.

4 hours ago, Nelsonian said:

Thanks Geno. Though not in a dire need at the moment for this part of the build was just looking into Wiring Specialties LQ9 kit and had book marked the Induction Performance IGN 1A kit and harness, but at $719 a kit and $599 for their harness was hoping for other options.

With a crimping tool and a Deutsche 8pin connector you can build your own harness. The downside to the IGN1A is each coil is about $75, so $450 in just coils alone makes alternatives cheaper every time.